Forum: Ruby on Rails managing multiple rails applications with apache

5faa716c5099281dfc924c8ea362d90f?d=identicon&s=25 --- Z@m --- (Guest)
how can manage multiple rails applications with apache

i have followed the following tutorial and successfullt set up my
rails site using apache

http://www.howtoforge.com/ruby_on_rails_debian_etch
http://www.howtoforge.com/ruby_on_rails_debian_etch_p2

but how can i configure apache to host more than one rails site ?
992f6dd317a9b164e1efc5b674623f38?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Graff (Guest)
I wrote a little about this here:
http://skandragon.blogspot.com/2007/10/mongrel-apa...

How to set up Apache for multiple hosts (assuming no SSL) is pretty
easy, and well-documented in many, many places.  Search for "apache
virtual host configuration" or similar.  How to do it with SSL is even
easier, but burns one real IP address per host.

--Michael

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM, --- Z@m ---
<krishnaprasadvarma@gmail.com> wrote:

--
(Ruby, Rails, Random) blog:  http://skandragon.blogspot.com/
51655eeeedad656fad30717c46852437?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Kottom (Guest)

http://www.modrails.com/
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guid...
http://www.modrails.com/documentation/Users%20guid...
992f6dd317a9b164e1efc5b674623f38?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Graff (Guest)
It's on my to-do list.  Right between rebuilding my Xen server, making
Asterisk work again, etc.  :)

--Michael
5faa716c5099281dfc924c8ea362d90f?d=identicon&s=25 --- Z@m --- (Guest)
Thank you for your fast reply !

regards
Krishnan
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
Phusion Passenger is the easiest (and increasingly better) way:

http://blog.phusion.nl/2009/03/01/phusion-passenge...

Cheers, Sazima
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Martens (Guest)
+1 for Passenger. I'm currently running some Rails apps and a Sinatra
app as well on the same box. Very easy, very simple, very cool.
992f6dd317a9b164e1efc5b674623f38?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Graff (Guest)
The only issue I have with Passenger is the same one I have for any
apache-module based application:  Break into one, and you break into
them all.

That is, they all run as user www group www (on my box, those can
vary.)  Therefore if applications cross administrative boundaries,
they must run on different Apache instances.  Otherwise, one can read
another application's database.yml and the game is over.

That said, I'm the owner of my personal server, and therefore I am a
single boundry.  I've started the conversion over to Passenger.  One
down, 5 more to go.  Looks trivial, and just works so far.  The only
"site" I have it up on is my soon-to-be personal media database,
http://media.flame.org/ and no, it's not even close to done yet.

--Michael

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Bob Martens <boblmartens@gmail.com>

(Ruby, Rails, Random) blog:  http://skandragon.blogspot.com/
89441a6c74647d292f5cc951eae24cfa?d=identicon&s=25 Jack Christensen (Guest)
Michael Graff wrote:
> The only issue I have with Passenger is the same one I have for any
> apache-module based application:  Break into one, and you break into
> them all.
>
> That is, they all run as user www group www (on my box, those can
> vary.)  Therefore if applications cross administrative boundaries,
> they must run on different Apache instances.  Otherwise, one can read
> another application's database.yml and the game is over.

Passenger solves that problem:

--
Jack Christensen
jackc@hylesanderson.edu