Forum: Ruby Requesting feedback on Gibberish::Simple, a tiny Ruby 1.9 localization lib

Hi folks,

While writing a section on localization for my book[0], I noticed that
there doesn't seem to be a localization system that works out of the
box on Ruby 1.9.
The changes to get either Ruby-GetText[1] or Gibberish[2] to work were
minimal, though.

I really liked the general idea behind Gibberish, since it has a nice
Ruby interface and is very easy to configure.  But it was a Rails
plugin, and needed some small modifications to work standalone.
I also wasn't wild about using String#[] to do translation tagging, as
it seemed it'd be just as easy to get by without modifying core.  I
did some other cleanup under the hood and removed the dependency on
ActiveSupport, and put up Gibberish::Simple:

http://github.com/sandal/gibberish-simple/

I'm curious if folks find this interesting / useful enough for an
official release and further maintenance?  I would be fine with just
using it as a book example, but if others find it useful beyond that,
I can document it, polish it up a bit, and push a gem.

== More Details ==

This library keeps most of the functionality Gibberish offers.  In
most cases, you just need to switch:

"My String"[:tag, *args]

to look like this:

T("My String", :tag, *args)

After including the Gibberish::Simple module.  Also, you replace any
call on Gibberish with a call to Gibberish::Simple.  Some minor
features were removed, but otherwise it's mostly the same library.

If you're curious of what it looks like in a code sample, I coded up a
tiny Sinatra app that implements the rock paper scissors game:
http://github.com/sandal/gibberish-simple/tree/223...

You will need Sinatra 0.9.1 (from Github) and Ruby 1.9.1 to run this
code.

Please let me know what you think.

-greg
On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Gregory Brown
<gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> While writing a section on localization for my book[0], I noticed that
> there doesn't seem to be a localization system that works out of the
> box on Ruby 1.9.
> The changes to get either Ruby-GetText[1] or Gibberish[2] to work were
> minimal, though.

Whoops, always forget the links :-/

[0] http://rubybestpractices.com
[1] http://www.yotabanana.com/hiki/ruby-gettext.html?r...
[2] http://github.com/defunkt/gibberish/tree/master
00109e19a784b64f81b483a5dbec690a?d=identicon&s=25 Chauk-Mean Proum (chauk-mean)
on 2009-03-02 09:59
Hi Gregory,

Gregory Brown wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> While writing a section on localization for my book[0], I noticed that
> there doesn't seem to be a localization system that works out of the
> box on Ruby 1.9.
> The changes to get either Ruby-GetText[1] or Gibberish[2] to work were
> minimal, though.

> http://github.com/sandal/gibberish-simple/
>
> I'm curious if folks find this interesting / useful enough for an
> official release and further maintenance?  I would be fine with just
> using it as a book example, but if others find it useful beyond that,
> I can document it, polish it up a bit, and push a gem.

I just need such a library at the moment.

> Please let me know what you think.

I'll try it and will report feedbacks on this thread.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.
00109e19a784b64f81b483a5dbec690a?d=identicon&s=25 Chauk-Mean Proum (chauk-mean)
on 2009-03-02 21:33
Hi (again) Gregory,

> Gregory Brown wrote:
>I'm curious if folks find this interesting / useful enough for an
>official release and further maintenance?  I would be fine with just
>using it as a book example, but if others find it useful beyond that,
>I can document it, polish it up a bit, and push a gem.

This is exactly what I need :
- not intrusive regarding the core classes
- simple (no dependency other than the standard yaml library)
- ruby-1.9 support

It is just perfect for me.

Go on for an official release and maintenance.
Thanks for sharing anyway.

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.