Forum: Ruby on Rails ssl certificate

054515cb92a507d2b549b8fe4c281fff?d=identicon&s=25 Ashik Ali (ashikalim)
on 2009-02-28 16:28

Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
certificate ?

cheers,
ashikali
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (conradwt)
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali Ashikali <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
> certificate ?
>
> cheers,
> ashikali

Hi, can you please explain what you're trying to do?

-Conrad
054515cb92a507d2b549b8fe4c281fff?d=identicon&s=25 Ashik Ali (ashikalim)
on 2009-02-28 16:56
Conrad Taylor wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali Ashikali <
> rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>

>> Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
>> certificate ?
>>
>> cheers,
>> ashikali
>

> Hi, can you please explain what you're trying to do?
>
> -Conrad
I am going to create https enabled website . Obviously we need ssl
certificate to configure https in appache . I refer following links
instructions .

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/httpd.html

Finally as per the guides in above link . I have configured https
successfully .

I think above link is more than enough to understand my problem .

cheers,
ashikali
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali Ashikali
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
> certificate ?

No. Or to put it another way -- "best" in what sense?

A self-signed cert will cause most browsers to present users with an
ominous-sounding warning, but it doesn't cost anything. Maybe that
isn't a problem for your user base, maybe it is.

A cert from a recognized Certificate Authority will not prompt those
warnings, but it costs money. Verisign is only one CA, BTW, so you
might look at others to compare pricing.

FWIW,
054515cb92a507d2b549b8fe4c281fff?d=identicon&s=25 Ashik Ali (ashikalim)
on 2009-02-28 17:39
Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali Ashikali
>
>> Can anyone tell me which is best �either �self-signed or VeriSign
>> certificate ?
>
> No. Or to put it another way -- "best" in what sense?
>
> A self-signed cert will cause most browsers to present users with an
> ominous-sounding warning, but it doesn't cost anything. Maybe that
> isn't a problem for your user base, maybe it is.
>
> A cert from a recognized Certificate Authority will not prompt those
> warnings, but it costs money. Verisign is only one CA, BTW, so you
> might look at others to compare pricing.
>
> FWIW,
> --

Actually the case is , my client will not interact with webserver using
browser . They will send https request via  programming languages like
ruby , c sharp ..etc  . Here do I need any third party certificates for
security ? .

cheers ,
ashikali

Mr. Hassan where are you from ?
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Ashikali Ashikali
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> Actually the case is , my client will not interact with webserver using
> browser . They will send https request via  programming languages like
> ruby , c sharp ..etc  . Here do I need any third party certificates for
> security ? .

A self-signed cert will be fine then, as long as the client gets a copy
so it recognizes it as trusted. Obviously the details of that depend
on the client implementation.

> Mr. Hassan where are you from ?

San Jose CA  :-)

HTH,
44d638ba8f358385047440377a04eed1?d=identicon&s=25 Neeraj (Guest)

Please explain , what you trying to say ?