Forum: Ruby on Rails rake bombs on openssl (on Ubuntu)

799443e8fa20dc3598d7d2d1e30048d5?d=identicon&s=25 Phor Gruber (phor_gruber)
RoR-ers,

I've bumped into an issue with ruby and ssl.

I'm trying to run a rake command which aborts because it cannot find
openssl.rb.

I followed these steps:

  - mkdir /rho; chown phor /rho
  - wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.bz2
  - tar jxf ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.bz2
  - cd ruby-1.8.7-p72
  - vi ext/Setup and uncomment these lines:
bigdecimal
curses
digest
digest/md5
digest/rmd160
digest/sha1
digest/sha2
iconv
openssl
readline
socket
strscan
thread
zlib

  - ./configure --prefix=/rho
  - make
  - make install
  - create a 1-line file (in /rho/.rho) and then dot-it: export PATH=/
rho/bin:${PATH}:.

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/ruby -v

Next, I installed gems:

  - wget gems: wget
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/45905/rubyge...
  - tar zxf rubygems-1.3.1.tgz
  - cd rubygems-1.3.1; ruby setup.rb  --no-rdoc --no-ri

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/gem -v
1.3.1

Next, I installed rails:

gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/rails -v
Rails 2.2.2

Next, I did this:

$ gem install rspec-rails rake --no-rdoc --no-ri

I saw this:

$ /rho/bin/gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.2.2)
actionpack (2.2.2)
activerecord (2.2.2)
activeresource (2.2.2)
activesupport (2.2.2)
rails (2.2.2)
rake (0.8.3)
rspec (1.1.12)
rspec-rails (1.1.12)

Next, I did this:

cd  ~/software/
git clone git://github.com/rhomobile/rhosync.git
mkdir log; touch log/development.log
/rho/bin/rake gems:install

I saw this:

(in /phor/software/rhosync)
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- openssl

To me,
It looks like openssl.rb is missing somewhere.

I assume it should be under /rho which is where I installed ruby.

I'm on ubuntu-linux and I do see openssl development packages inside
of my OS:

$ apt-cache search libssl
cl-plus-ssl - A simple Common Lisp interface to OpenSSL
dcmtk - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit command line utilities
libdcmtk1 - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit runtime libraries
libdcmtk1-dev - The OFFIS DICOM toolkit development libraries and
headers
libssl-ocaml - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
libssl-ocaml-dev - OCaml bindings for OpenSSL
libssl-dev - SSL development libraries, header files and documentation
libssl0.9.8 - SSL shared libraries
libssl0.9.8-dbg - Symbol tables for libssl and libcrypto

Also, I see this:

$ apt-cache search  libopenssl-ruby
libopenssl-ruby - OpenSSL interface for Ruby
libopenssl-ruby1.9 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.9
ruby1.8 - Interpreter of object-oriented scripting language Ruby 1.8
libopenssl-ruby1.8 - OpenSSL interface for Ruby 1.8

Clues anyone?
On Feb 27, 1:55 am, Phor Gruber <phorgru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To me,
> It looks like openssl.rb is missing somewhere.
>
> I assume it should be under /rho which is where I installed ruby.
>
> I'm on ubuntu-linux and I do see openssl development packages inside
> of my OS:
>
> $ apt-cache search libssl

Doesn't that just search for the package in your cached list of
package descriptions (rather than installed packages)

Fred