Forum: Ruby on Rails Regarding IDE

7694e527192e45b73b95f2ca41034463?d=identicon&s=25 Cyrus Dev (cyrusdev)
on 2009-02-26 12:52

Hello Every one,

I am using SciTE Editor which is good for ruby and rails, but I want
editor
with file browser in that , is any plugin available for it ?

thanks
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Martens (Guest)
What OS are you on?

On Feb 26, 5:52 am, Cyrus Dev <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Cyrus Dev wrote:

> Hello Every one,
>
> I am using SciTE Editor which is good for ruby and rails, but I want
> editor
> with file browser in that , is any plugin available for it ?
>
> thanks

Are you looking for a full-on IDE or just a better text editor?

I use, an highly recommend, TextMate on the Mac. The is something
similar to it on Windows called the "E Text Editor."

If you are looking for a full-fledged IDE for Ruby take a loot at
Netbeans 6.5. It seems to be about the best Ruby support I know of in an
IDE.

People may think it's strange that I really prefer a good text editor
like TextMate over an IDE. Especially, since I live in an IDE all day
for my Java "day job." But, Java just isn't practical without an IDE
these days.

Here are some things I dislike about IDEs:

1. Most are written in Java. The exception being Xcode, which is the
only IDE I actually enjoy using.
2. IDEs tend to lock you into a single vendor. In our case that's Oracle
with their JDeveloper IDE.
3. I HATE Java programs.
4. I REALLY HATE Java programs.
5. IDEs have a tendency to make bad assumptions. "Oh!. Here's what I
think you're trying to do, I'll go ahead and make that edit for you." I
swear, I spend half my time removing crap that the IDE thinks I want.
6. I'm a programmer. I don't need help with programming! What I need is
help editing text. TextMate is perfect for this because the developers
spend their time thinking about editing text/code. The built-in text
editors of most IDE are horrible at editing text.
7. JDeveloper startup time ~30 seconds. TextMate Startup time < 1
second.
8. mate .

This is all a matter of taste, but is probably the primary thing that
drew me to Ruby on Rails in the first place. A development framework
that's logical enough to require no IDE is worth it's weight in gold.
2ab2896580cf936d8d0152972839cc31?d=identicon&s=25 dustin tsang (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Robert Walker <
rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:

> > thanks
> People may think it's strange that I really prefer a good text editor
> 3. I HATE Java programs.
> 8. mate .
>
> This is all a matter of taste, but is probably the primary thing that
> drew me to Ruby on Rails in the first place. A development framework
> that's logical enough to require no IDE is worth it's weight in gold.
> --

If you enjoy IDEs.and already use Eclipse at work.
Eclipse 3.4 with the Rad Rails plugin is okay to use.
you don't have to learn new keyboard commands.
2ab2896580cf936d8d0152972839cc31?d=identicon&s=25 dustin tsang (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM, dustin tsang
<dustin.tsang@gmail.com>wrote:

>> > editor
>> Netbeans 6.5. It seems to be about the best Ruby support I know of in an
>> only IDE I actually enjoy using.
>> editors of most IDE are horrible at editing text.
>> >>

> If you enjoy IDEs.and already use Eclipse at work.
> Eclipse 3.4 with the Rad Rails plugin is okay to use.
> you don't have to learn new keyboard commands.
>
> Also a replacement for scite that has a file browser is notepad++(windows
only), it doesn't have any erb syntax highlighting though.
D25f44314542c75e511e806a6d1a5777?d=identicon&s=25 Agustin Viñao (agustinvinao)
VIM in my case is the best "IDE" for my work, i do everyting, is quickly
lern and run in every OS.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bob Martens (Guest)
I was originally going to recommend using Vim myself as I have now
gone back to it even after trying out other alternatives. Once the
commands get in your fingers, there is no going back. Rails.vim and
some other plugins really make it ideal ... IMHO.

On Feb 26, 4:19 pm, Agustin Nicolas Viñao Laseras
1a8792d5f52552dff9cd287a32a5d9a7?d=identicon&s=25 <-_-_-|Rek2|-_-_--> (Guest)
Bob Martens
escribió:> I was originally going to recommend using Vim myself as I have now
> gone back to it even after trying out other alternatives. Once the
> commands get in your fingers, there is no going back. Rails.vim and
> some other plugins really make it ideal ... IMHO.
>
> On Feb 26, 4:19 pm, Agustin Nicolas Viñao Laseras

I have to agree, I cant live with out my VIM and my bash shell..maybe is
because I learn to code 15 years a go under unix
but I can't use any GUI for this things, no matter what language, it
just slows me down instead of making things easier like others say.
nothing is faster than your fingers ;)
D25f44314542c75e511e806a6d1a5777?d=identicon&s=25 Agustin Viñao (agustinvinao)
This is a good way to configure VIM for RoR:
http://www.akitaonrails.com/2009/1/4/rails-on-vim-in-english

Try VIM, my RAM is for my developments, not for my IDE :P

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:39 PM, <-_-_-|Rek2|-_-_--> <
Af2ce6689213fdb78913a9662b18da6b?d=identicon&s=25 Rick (Guest)
As a really old programmer, I have to go with emacs.  I've been using
it since 1980 so I'm past the learning curve - mostly...

My setup right now, on a Mac, is aquamacs with the rinari macro
package.  Does a nice job of code formatting with color which I find
helps when I've forgotten how many ends I need.

It sits in the right space between a fullup belt and suspenders IDE
and raw naked command line with a text editor.  I also use
NetBeans7.0M1 when I want to be mindlessly lazy.

On Feb 26, 2:18 pm, Agustin Nicolas Viñao Laseras
D2aae7013d89fa1fb9b47204bcfa9f69?d=identicon&s=25 ghettoiam (Guest)
I'd second/third NetBeans.  I use NetBeans on all platforms mac/ubunut/
winXP and I think it's great.  Particularly because of its auto-
completion, built-in documentation of ruby methods and easy debugger.
It really shortened the learning curve when I originally jumped into
rails.

On Feb 26, 1:51 pm, Robert Walker <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>