Re: Re: rake db:migrate script in Jruby

We have multiple rails apps that share teh models directory (sym links).

Our strategy was : Create on migration that build all the tables before we deployed.
Once we deployed (which we now are)
Migration is managed under a change control process in which we run manual mysql scripts to do the migration (after extensive testing of course)

Jay

Feb 25, 2009 08:38:09 PM, [email protected] wrote:
I'm manually running the SQL. Kind of sucks but I don't make that many
schema changes.

What's the ideal solution? HTTP action? A remote console?

Ikai

On 2/25/09 5:01 PM, "Dave Ray" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Adam,
>
> There was a very similar question (and an answer) earlier this month:
>
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/177738
>
> Since this has come up twice now and was definitely a point of confusion
> when I was deploying a JRuby/Rails app, it would be cool if there was
> some official guidance on the Wiki or something about the "right" way to
> deploy on app servers where you have minimal control.
>
> In my case, I just ended up installing JRuby on the server. This was
> over the phone with an admin because the server was remote and behind a
> firewall. It felt like a pretty kludgy solution and definitely didn't
> help me look like I knew what I was doing, which I didn't. :)
>
> Dave
>
> AD wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are working on some deployment scripts for our JRuby/Rails
>> application. We use warble to deploy wars into tomcat on our app
>> servers. Since we wont have a local copy of Jruby on the app servers
>> is there an easy way to run a rake db:migrate as part of the
>> deployment process? It would be easiest if we can run this as a jar
>> file somehow but wasnt sure what other people are doing here.
>>
>> Thx
>> Adam

is there a way to turn the rake db:migrate into a text output of mysql
command to capture in a deploy script ?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Jay McGaffigan
[email protected] wrote:

On 2/25/09 5:01 PM, “Dave Ray” [email protected] wrote:

deploy on app servers where you have minimal control.

unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

we’ve struggled the same problem in Virgo, and I’ve come up with a
solution.
Check out GitHub - virgosystems/jrecipes: Capistrano recipes for deploying a JRuby application. It has no
documentation yet, so here’s the deploy script I use with it:
http://pastie.org/400758 This has some additional goodness for copying
static files over and linking shared directories.

JRecipes introduces a new deploy strategy :war_file which builds a war
from
your application locally and puts it into your release_path. For
application
server it supports tomcat and takes care of restarting it and copying
your
war file into the webapps directory. I would welcome if someone with
experience with other app servers forked the project and implemented
support
for that.

Cheers,
LacKac