Forum: GNU Radio usrp alternat

89a86aed7b49ab15a4265f97ad45577a?d=identicon&s=25 islam saber (Guest)
i buy fpga kit ( EZ1CUSB-12) and i want to know if i can make by this
kit with daughterboard the usrp or not .if not please tell me
alternative design for usrp thanks
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 06:17:35AM -0800, islam saber wrote:

> i buy fpga kit ( EZ1CUSB-12) and i want to know if i can make by
> this kit with daughterboard the usrp or not .if not please tell me
> alternative design for usrp thanks

Using the amazing power of goggle, I found the data sheet within 5
seconds.

Spending another 5 seconds revealed that they claim that they can
transfer USB data at up to 1MB/s.  That's 32 times slower than we
achieve with the USRP.

Another 5 seconds reveals that the board contains no A/Ds nor D/As

So, so you think you can make a USRP with this?

Eric
3e5d1707dd5f4807ed9938d5c37b2649?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Strasser (Guest)
islam saber wrote am 2009-02-25 15:17:
> i buy fpga kit ( EZ1CUSB-12) and i want to know if i can make by this
> kit with daughterboard the usrp or not .
>
> if not please tell me alternative design for usrp

This board seems to be a minimal development board, really some very
minimal and basic peripherials. The vendor claims it is good for DSP,
but to get in to the level of an USRP you would need at least some
highspeed ADCs/DACs. Without them you will not be able to receive or
connect any RF signal, what is the purpose of an USRP primarily.

If you're looking for some cheaper hardware to do SDR and want to do
some fancy soldering yourself, have a look at the SSRP:
   http://oscar.dcarr.org/ssrp/index.php

If you really want to play in the USRP-leage you will have to spend some
money, though.

Maybe you want to read up on all this with some of the links from
   http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/SuggestedReading
There should be enough for some evenings of reading, for starters and
for experts ;-)

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at student dot tugraz dot at>