Forum: Ruby The Ruby IRC Channel is #ruby-lang on Freenode

07d8fba2df95d55cf090e6263448f571?d=identicon&s=25 Eero Saynatkari (roo_p)
on 2009-02-25 15:13
Hi, small public service announcement:

The official Ruby IRC channel is #ruby-lang on Freenode (i.e.
irc://irc.freenode.net/ruby-lang.)

The #ruby channel on the same network should NOT be used at
this time because its administration is in the hands of a
third party (who has, in addition, been absent for a long
time.) There has been a recent increase in people mistakenly
joining that channel rather than #ruby-lang.

Until the administration is transferred to Ruby Central or
other person/entity appointed by matz (and this may take some
time with Freenode's policies), all #ruby people should move
to #ruby-lang to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort and
splintering of knowledge.

Everyone else is naturally heartily welcomed, as well! IRC
is usually the fastest way to obtain help (although the ML
is fairly snappy usually) and the most convenient way to hang
out with other rubyists! There are around 500 people on the
channel(s), of whom 50 or more are online at pretty much any
given time.

(There are also several more specific channels such as #rack,
#rubyonrails, #rspec, #merb and so on.)

Thanks!

        rue

--
Magic is insufficiently advanced technology.
Eero Saynatkari wrote:

> Until the administration is transferred to Ruby Central or
> other person/entity appointed by matz (and this may take some
> time with Freenode's policies), all #ruby people should move
> to #ruby-lang to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort and
> splintering of knowledge.

What would have to happen to get #ruby back?

- Charlie
07d8fba2df95d55cf090e6263448f571?d=identicon&s=25 Eero Saynatkari (roo_p)
on 2009-02-26 14:43
Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Eero Saynatkari wrote:
>>
>> Until the administration is transferred to Ruby Central or
>> other person/entity appointed by matz (and this may take some
>> time with Freenode's policies), all #ruby people should move
>> to #ruby-lang to avoid unnecessary duplication of effort and
>> splintering of knowledge.
>
> What would have to happen to get #ruby back?

It is likely to be easier currently, with fflush and dross
having been gone quite a while, but essentially there needs
to be a verifiable claim to ownership (since the # channels
are reserved for "official" versions, ## not) which means
something from matz et al.--previously I think a phone call
verification was required, which would have caused obvious
difficulties--and then the appointment of someone to administer
it in the future.

In the interim, we are trying to get everyone to move to
the same channel. Back when I last looked, this was not an
issue since #ruby only had 20 people on max, but right now
#ruby-lang has 300-400 or so, and #ruby has 250-350, of
whom about 200-250 are ONLY on #ruby (there are several folks
on both channels, exacerbating the problem by not forwarding
them to the correct one.)

This is a huge problem, because half the Ruby (IRC) community
is missing one half of all questions/answers/discussions, and
the other half is missing the other half.