Forum: GNU Radio Installing Gnu Radio 3.2 on centOS machine

46e89b2c28365a2ea054befbe1fa630a?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce McGuffin (Guest)
Hi

I'm trying to get gnuradio version 3.2 installed on an old computer that
is now
running the centOS 5.2 operating system. It appears that centOS is
missing a lot of
the features found in other versions of Linux, but after a lot of work
the configure
now runs. When I try to run make, it causes the following error:

make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0/mblock/src/lib'
 cd ../../.. && /bin/sh ./config.status mblock/src/lib/Makefile depfiles
config.status: creating mblock/src/lib/Makefile
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0/mblock/src/lib'
make[4]: Entering directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0/mblock/src/lib'
GUILE_LOAD_PATH="/usr/local/gnuradio/pmt/src/scheme:/usr/local/gnuradio/mblock/src/scheme"
/usr/bin/guile -e main -s
../../../mblock/src/scheme/gnuradio/compile-mbh.scm ./qa_bitset.mbh
qa_bitset_mbh.cc
ERROR: In procedure open-file:
ERROR: No such file or directory:
"../../../mblock/src/scheme/gnuradio/compile-mbh.scm"
make[4]: *** [qa_bitset_mbh.cc] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0/mblock/src/lib'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0/mblock/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0/mblock'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/gnuradio-3.2rc0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does anybody know what the problem is? What is compile-mbh.scm, and why
wasn't
it part of the gnu radio download?

Thanks
Bruce
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Bruce McGuffin <mcguffin@ll.mit.edu>
wrote:

> Does anybody know what the problem is? What is compile-mbh.scm, and why
> wasn't it part of the gnu radio download?

You've found a bug in the tarball generation for release 3.2rc0, thanks.

It's easily fixed, but we're not quite ready to release 3.2rc1.

You can either a) copy the .scm file from the GNU Radio trunk
repository into your unpacked tarball directory, or b) use svn to
check out the trunk software and compile and install from there.

Johnathan
46e89b2c28365a2ea054befbe1fa630a?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce McGuffin (Guest)
OK, we were able to find compile-mbh.scm on the trunk, copy it, and ran
make.
Make didn't complain about compile-mbh.scm, but we got a lot of
complaints
about missing gnu-radio macros. So we gave up on the tarball, and used
SVN
to download the current version of 3.2 on a machine outside the firewall
(for some
reason our firewall doesn't like SVN). Now we can run make.

To test the USRP-2, we ran
    find_usrps
which returned an address, and version number. Then we tried
    usrp2_fft.py
(this is right out of the FAQ), and got an error message
    ImportError: No module named gnuradio
The only thing I can think of is when we ran configure it complained
that some
modules were missing, but judging by their names they were audio
modules, and
I'm not planning to use the sound card, so didn't worry. Does anybody
know what
the problem is?

Bruce
992d7640b9396bb5e8baf989281b59c0?d=identicon&s=25 Kieran Brownlees (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Bruce McGuffin <mcguffin@ll.mit.edu>
wrote:

>   ImportError: No module named gnuradio

Python doesn't know about the gnu radio libraries, did you do a make
install? (as root)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Bruce McGuffin <mcguffin@ll.mit.edu>
wrote:

> (for some reason our firewall doesn't like SVN).

Many don't.  Subversion uses portions of the HTTP spec that aren't
frequently proxied or allowed by many firewalls.

> The only thing I can think of is when we ran configure it complained that
> some modules were missing, but judging by their names they were audio modules,
> and I'm not planning to use the sound card, so didn't worry. Does anybody know
> what the problem is?

Um, maybe post the output of ./configure, so we can see what modules
are missing?  It looks like you're missing gnuradio-core, which is
sort of important...

Johnathan
46e89b2c28365a2ea054befbe1fa630a?d=identicon&s=25 Bruce McGuffin (Guest)
It does seem like, from the error message, gnuradio-core is missing. But
why?
The output from running configure is very long, the last bit summarizing
what happened (below) says gnuradio-core was successfully configured,
but some other
stuff wasn't. Then make ran without generating an error. Would one of
the the
things not configured cause the problem? If so, why wasn't it
configured?

Thanks
Bruce

the end of the configure output:

The following GNU Radio components have been successfully configured:

config
gruel
omnithread
gnuradio-core
pmt
mblock
usrp
usrp2
gr-usrp
gr-usrp2
gr-msdd6000
gr-audio-alsa
gr-audio-oss
gr-atsc
gr-cvsd-vocoder
gr-gpio
gr-gsm-fr-vocoder
gr-pager
gr-radar-mono
gr-radio-astronomy
gr-trellis
gr-video-sdl
gr-wxgui
gr-sounder
gr-utils
gnuradio-examples

You my now run the make command to build these components.

The following components were skipped either because you asked not
to build them or they didn't pass configuration checks:

gcell
gr-gcell
gr-audio-jack
gr-audio-osx
gr-audio-portaudio
gr-audio-windows
gr-comedi
gr-qtgui
grc

These components will not be built
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 03:14:38PM -0500, Bruce McGuffin wrote:
>    find_usrps
> which returned an address, and version number. Then we tried
>    usrp2_fft.py
> (this is right out of the FAQ), and got an error message
>    ImportError: No module named gnuradio

Did you set PYTHONPATH?

Eric
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM, Bruce McGuffin <mcguffin@ll.mit.edu>
wrote:

> The output from running configure is very long, the last bit summarizing
> what happened (below) says gnuradio-core was successfully configured, but
> some other
> stuff wasn't. Then make ran without generating an error. Would one of the
> the
> things not configured cause the problem? If so, why wasn't it configured?

Your list of modules is fine; gnuradio-core configured and was
compiled and installed.

It's likely you don't have PYTHONPATH set correctly.  Some OSes need
it, some don't.  Presumably, the gnuradio Python components got
installed to:

/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages

Try putting that path or the correct one into the PYTHONPATH
environment variable.  If that works, you'll need to set this in your
login scripts.

Johnathan