Forum: Ruby How to install/configure ruby as a non-root user

1641b11aae3c837b1f2e985e29751c6c?d=identicon&s=25 Pra Bhandar (pbhandar)
I am trying to install ruby as a non-root user. I found that with
-prefix this works fine. I am thinking this has something to do with
library path settings.  However, I am not sure how to go about figuring
this out. Any help would be highly appreciated.

rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected Module)
(TypeError)
        from ./kernel.rb:18
        from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
        from ./server.rb:5

Thanks.

Prakash
D1f1c20467562fc1d8c8aa0d328def62?d=identicon&s=25 Florian Gilcher (skade)
On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Pra Bhandar wrote:

> rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
> ./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected
> Module)
> (TypeError)
>        from ./kernel.rb:18
>        from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
>        from ./server.rb:5

Is server your own code?

If yes, you are just doing something wrong (by calling include with a
Class, not a Module[1]). If this is not your code, contact the author.

This is no problem of the installation.

Regards,
Florian

[1]: If you don't know the difference, read any tutorial on Ruby.

--
Florian Gilcher

smtp:   flo@andersground.net
jabber: Skade@jabber.ccc.de
gpg:    533148E2
1641b11aae3c837b1f2e985e29751c6c?d=identicon&s=25 Pra Bhandar (pbhandar)
on 2009-02-18 21:18
Florian Gilcher wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:08 AM, Pra Bhandar wrote:
>>
>> rh511grac1:unset> ./server.rb
>> ./kernel.rb:18:in `include': wrong argument type Class (expected
>> Module)
>> (TypeError)
>>        from ./kernel.rb:18
>>        from ./server.rb:5:in `require'
>>        from ./server.rb:5
>

> Is server your own code?
>
> If yes, you are just doing something wrong (by calling include with a
> Class, not a Module[1]). If this is not your code, contact the author.
>
> This is no problem of the installation.
>
> Regards,
> Florian
>
> [1]: If you don't know the difference, read any tutorial on Ruby.
>
> --
> Florian Gilcher
>
> smtp:   flo@andersground.net
> jabber: Skade@jabber.ccc.de
> gpg:    533148E2

Hi Florian,

Yes, the server.rb and kernel.rb is internal code. I was starting to go
down that path that you suggested and was thrown off by this one fact.
If I use the default ruby interpreter that was preinstalled in /usr/bin
then I don't get that error. Is there some type of flag that is doing
internal error handling automatically for me in the /usr/bin/ruby that
my install of ruby is not setup to do.

Thank you very much for your response.

Prakash