Forum: Ruby ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1

E1d641bfe4071a5413bac781f06d3fd1?d=identicon&s=25 Sean O'halpin (sean)
ffi-ncurses version 0.3.1
    by Sean O'Halpin
    http://github.com/seanohalpin/ffi-ncurses

== DESCRIPTION

A wrapper for ncurses 5.x. Tested on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and Ubuntu
8.04 with ruby 1.8.6 using ruby-ffi (>= 0.2.0) and JRuby 1.1.6.

This point release fixes a problem with installing as a gem under
JRuby, caused by
the fact that JRuby has a built-in ffi and there does not appear to be a
way
to specify per-platform gem dependencies in a gemspec.

To install:

Ruby 1.8.6

$ sudo gem install ffi ffi-ncurses

JRuby 1.1.6

$ jruby -S gem install ffi-ncurses

Basic docs at http://ffi-ncurses.rubyforge.org. See the examples
directory for
real working code.

Regards,
Sean
Fd4910a54e436dd1f87dc7dcebaee21f?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Enebo (Guest)
Sean O'Halpin wrote:
> JRuby, caused by
>
> $ jruby -S gem install ffi-ncurses
>
> Basic docs at http://ffi-ncurses.rubyforge.org. See the examples directory for
> real working code.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Sean,

   How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension)
on top of ffi-ncurses?  JRuby is still missing this library and for
compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added?
The plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
distribution gem for JRuby too :)

-Tom
E1d641bfe4071a5413bac781f06d3fd1?d=identicon&s=25 Sean O'halpin (sean)
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Thomas Enebo <Thomas.Enebo@sun.com>
wrote:

> Sean,
>
>  How easy would it be to wire up a compatible curses API (C-extension) on
> top of ffi-ncurses?  JRuby is still missing this library and for
> compatibility-sake it would be nice to have this missing piece added?  The
> plus if it is not so tough is we would end up making ffi-ncurses a
> distribution gem for JRuby too :)
>
> -Tom

Hi Tom,

It's on my roadmap. I'm planning to add an Ncurses compatibility layer
(but without the Menu and Forms interfaces to start with).

Sean O'Halpin wrote:
>> -Tom
>>

> Hi Tom,
>
> It's on my roadmap. I'm planning to add an Ncurses compatibility layer
> (but without the Menu and Forms interfaces to start with).
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Cool beans.  We wish an army of ffi-lovers would come up and rewrite
most of the thin-layer shim extensions...  We are spread pretty thin.
Thanks Sean...

-Tom