Forum: Ruby vim for ruby

D3fc5887a2f39f2e0c8989d39ce5e6f9?d=identicon&s=25 Bharat Ruparel (bruparel)
on 2009-02-16 04:20
I am using Ubuntu 7.10.  I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
syntax hilighting support, but it is not working.  Any ideas?
Thanks for your time.
Bharat
86e33dee4a89a8879a26487051c216a8?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Fellinger (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Bharat Ruparel <bcruparel@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 7.10.  I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working.  Any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Bharat

You need to run the vim-ruby-install.rb

^ manveru
48721861825d808ee461191c308a6861?d=identicon&s=25 Nico Bonada (nicooo)
on 2009-02-16 13:33
Bharat Ruparel wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 7.10.  I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working.  Any ideas?
> Thanks for your time.
> Bharat

You need to put 'syntax on' in your ~/.vimrc, it should work with or
without the vim-ruby package.
C06869c119472a139eb163b72040b0db?d=identicon&s=25 Bertram Scharpf (Guest)

Am Montag, 16. Feb 2009, 12:18:44 +0900 schrieb Bharat Ruparel:
> I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working.  Any ideas?

By the way: Some time ago I wrote two Vim commands to
interactively execute Ruby code and insert the result into the
current buffer below the code passage. I use them really often.

Maybe sommebody likes it:
<http://bertram-scharpf.homelinux.com/src/vruby.vim>.

Bertram
149379873fe2cb70e550c6bff8fedd0c?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Schwab (Guest)
Bertram Scharpf wrote:

> Am Montag, 16. Feb 2009, 12:18:44 +0900 schrieb Bharat Ruparel:
>> I installed vim-ruby package to get the ruby
>> syntax hilighting support, but it is not working.  Any ideas?
>
> By the way: Some time ago I wrote two Vim commands to
> interactively execute Ruby code and insert the result into the
> current buffer below the code passage. I use them really often.
>
> Maybe sommebody likes it:
> <http://bertram-scharpf.homelinux.com/src/vruby.vim>.

See also:
http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-s...
9b905791cbdbb1af35b65e02c3217e23?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Link (Guest)
> See also:http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-s...

What's the advantage of this approach over using the compiled-in ruby
interpreter?
Tom Link wrote:
>> See also:http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-s...
>
> What's the advantage of this approach over using the compiled-in ruby
> interpreter?

Who said there was any advantage of either approach over the other?
(And why do so many people interpret the provision of relevant
information as somehow pejorative to the information already available?)

slime.vim happens to be a better fit for most of my work, because I'm
working with multiple external interpreters.  Built-in support for a
particular Ruby interpreter is definitely cool, but it's not quite as
flexible.
D3fc5887a2f39f2e0c8989d39ce5e6f9?d=identicon&s=25 Bharat Ruparel (bruparel)
on 2009-02-18 23:59
That was it.  Thanks.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com>
wrote:

> http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-s...

Jeff this is one of the most valuable reads I ever had about vim. Many
thanx for sharing.
R.
Robert Dober wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>
>> http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-s...
>
> Jeff this is one of the most valuable reads I ever had about vim. Many
> thanx for sharing.

It was useful to me, too.  FWIW, I pretty much live in Screen and Vim
these days.
78947e02afdcaabbda360f9d112bfbe0?d=identicon&s=25 Musdev Musdev (devrubygem)
on 2009-02-25 23:30
Jeff Schwab wrote:
> Robert Dober wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Jeff Schwab <jeff@schwabcenter.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://technotales.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/like-s...
>>
>> Jeff this is one of the most valuable reads I ever had about vim. Many
>> thanx for sharing.
>
> It was useful to me, too.  FWIW, I pretty much live in Screen and Vim
> these days.

Hey guys, I decided to start using vim since I'm a beginner\Ruby
programmer, and I decided (with some encouragement from other experience
ruby developers)and think its imperative for me to get used to the
command line, instead of being lazy with an IDE. I forked a project that
has some vim plugins. My question is, which plugins do I need to get
started, I just basically threw everything in there, and I'm noticing
some errors popping up when I start VIM. I want the cool stuff give me
the good stuff.

Thanks
C06869c119472a139eb163b72040b0db?d=identicon&s=25 Bertram Scharpf (Guest)
Hi Zayd,

Am Donnerstag, 26. Feb 2009, 07:29:49 +0900 schrieb Zayd Connor:
> Hey guys, I decided to start using vim since I'm a beginner\Ruby
> programmer, and I decided and think its imperative for me to get
> used to the command line, instead of being lazy with an IDE.

Congrats; you're suspected to be a valuable programmer.

> My question is, which plugins do I need to get started, I just
> basically threw everything in there, and I'm noticing some
> errors popping up when I start VIM. I want the cool stuff give
> me the good stuff.

Never mind, just start off. The plugins will find you; it's not
your job to search for them. You will experience yourself to write
one and the other yourself...

Bertram
78947e02afdcaabbda360f9d112bfbe0?d=identicon&s=25 Musdev Musdev (devrubygem)
on 2009-02-26 05:59
Bertram Scharpf wrote:
> Hi Zayd,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 26. Feb 2009, 07:29:49 +0900 schrieb Zayd Connor:
>> Hey guys, I decided to start using vim since I'm a beginner\Ruby
>> programmer, and I decided and think its imperative for me to get
>> used to the command line, instead of being lazy with an IDE.
>
> Congrats; you're suspected to be a valuable programmer.
>
>> My question is, which plugins do I need to get started, I just
>> basically threw everything in there, and I'm noticing some
>> errors popping up when I start VIM. I want the cool stuff give
>> me the good stuff.
>
> Never mind, just start off. The plugins will find you; it's not
> your job to search for them. You will experience yourself to write
> one and the other yourself...
>
> Bertram

Thanks Bertram, I really can't wait to catch up in ruby\VIM, at least
get the basic commands down. Are there any good books for VIM out there?
I've been trying to open an existing rails project in my VIM editor and
so far I've been unsuccesfull, do you know the steps I need to take to
open my rails project?
87ef5d1e14b148eb596433bc17ffe690?d=identicon&s=25 Leo (Guest)
> so far I've been unsuccesfull, do you know the steps I need to take to
> open my rails project?

It seems there is a rather new google group dedicated to to vim + rails:
http://groups.google.com/group/vim-on-rails

--
Leo

The end is here -->
78947e02afdcaabbda360f9d112bfbe0?d=identicon&s=25 Musdev Musdev (devrubygem)
Thanks Leo =)
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 01:58:26PM +0900, Zayd Connor wrote:

> Thanks Bertram, I really can't wait to catch up in ruby\VIM, at least
> get the basic commands down. Are there any good books for VIM out there?

I just happen to have answered someone's questions about Vim (among
other
things) in an email yesterday, and I decided to make the advice I
offered
available on the Web:

  http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=981

At the end of it is a book recommendation, if that's all you're
interested in -- but I think the whole thing is worth reading for
someone
new to Vim.
Zayd Connor wrote:
> Hey guys, I decided to start using vim since I'm a beginner\Ruby
> programmer, and I decided (with some encouragement from other experience
> ruby developers)and think its imperative for me to get used to the
> command line, instead of being lazy with an IDE.

Welcome to the rest of your life. :)  What OS are you using?

> I forked a project that
> has some vim plugins.

That sounds kinda rough.  Do you mean you started with Cream or Vimmate
or something?  Your best bet is probably just out-of-the-box Vim.  You
can install plugins later.

> My question is, which plugins do I need to get
> started, I just basically threw everything in there,

You don't need any plugins to start.  The only gotcha that comes to
minds is that you should make sure you have a ~/.vimrc file (_vimrc on
Windows) so you'll get the Vimmy goodness, rather than
backward-compatible "vi mode."

> and I'm noticing
> some errors popping up when I start VIM.

Could you be more specific?

> I want the cool stuff give me
> the good stuff.

:)

Check out comp.os.editors.  See also the book list on vim.org, and the
Vim Tips Wiki:

     http://www.vim.org/docs.php
     http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

There are free books and cheat sheets online to help you get started.
There are also more advanced books.

1. Get really good at editing text.
2. Learn how to represent basically everything as text.
3. Profit!
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 08:34:17AM +0900, Jeff Schwab wrote:

> 1. Get really good at editing text.
> 2. Learn how to represent basically everything as text.
> 3. Profit!

No, you got that wrong.  It's:

  1. Get really good at editing text.
  2. Learn how to represent basically everything as text.
  3. . . .
  4. Profit!
78947e02afdcaabbda360f9d112bfbe0?d=identicon&s=25 Musdev Musdev (devrubygem)
:)  I'm using Vista

Yeah I reinstalled gVim and sticking to whats already in the box, and I
also
I made sure I have the _vimrc file =) thanks.

This feels so much better then netbeans. Netbeans felt so sluggish and
slow.
It doesn't take years for my Vim to start, I also like that you can
customize short keys, and pretty much everything else. I think I made
the
right decision by switching, I just hope in the future if I land a job,
that
I won't be forced to use anything else besides Vim.

Thanks Guys