Forum: Ruby on Rails Problem deploying an app with passenger

3b8873b74d4dffd65c9a415843821392?d=identicon&s=25 landry soules (Guest)
Hello,

I'm desperatly trying to install an app with phusion passenger. I've
already spent 2 days with no success, can somebody help me, please ?
Here is my problem :
I already installed phusion passenger with no problem. It's running on
apache2 on  ubuntu 8.10.
I configured everything as mentioned on passenger's website, but i only
get a 404 error, whatever url i try...
09b4d64ca074d04a272a713eb10319eb?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM, landry soules
<landry.soules.ruby@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm desperatly trying to install an app with phusion passenger. I've
> already spent 2 days with no success, can somebody help me, please ?
> Here is my problem :
> I already installed phusion passenger with no problem. It's running on
> apache2 on  ubuntu 8.10.
> I configured everything as mentioned on passenger's website, but i only
> get a 404 error, whatever url i try...

Not enough information!

Have you renamed, or moved public/index.html
Have you set the route to the controller that gets the first request?
Have you read your log files (for rails and for apache)?

So many questions. Not enough information.

Cheers--

Charles
2dddec0f7717cae77ac6bceede6be5bc?d=identicon&s=25 Ram (Guest)
It usually means your app is failing. Check your log and debug.
482517e3e7f1be3c858dbdb4b8f288a1?d=identicon&s=25 fRAnKEnSTEin (Guest)

You are not giving enough information, however, I have installed
passenger little time ago, If you "...installed phusion passenger with
no problem...." the only thing that could be wrong is your passenger
configuration:

1- Have you edited your http.conf file, and added the lines that
passenger installed gives you? your http.conf file have to look
something like this:

LoadModule passenger_module /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
passenger-2.0.3/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so
PassengerRoot /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/passenger-2.0.3
PassengerRuby /usr/bin/ruby

<VirtualHost 69.74.161.173:80 *>
    ServerName www.mydomain.com
    DocumentRoot /home/user/public_html/railsapp/public
</VirtualHost>

NOTE: The "loadModule" line must be at the begining of your http.conf
file

2- The "ServerName" and "DocumentRoot" values are right?

3- Have you restarted apache?

4- If you are working with your local machine(localhost), you must
consider to configure the vhost file too. Here are som info(it is for
mac but will give you an idea
http://mark-kirby.co.uk/2008/setting-up-virtual-ho...)

Please check, all this info, and verify that all are correct.

regards
482517e3e7f1be3c858dbdb4b8f288a1?d=identicon&s=25 fRAnKEnSTEin (Guest)
Another thing,

1- have you created all the databases that your app needs?
2- have you installed all the gems ect that your ap needs?

Check your log file
3b8873b74d4dffd65c9a415843821392?d=identicon&s=25 landry soules (Guest)
Thanks a lot for your support, guys.
It appears that actually i was messing with my apache config. Probably
because i didn't properly configure vhost file (my problem disappeared
since i finally bought a domain name ! )
Next time, i'll do better my home work before posting dumb questions
:-)

Best regards.

Landry