Forum: Ruby on Rails Reset password facility

32edf22df6932b252d7be5a1b9b766c9?d=identicon&s=25 Shockmeister (Guest)
I have used a sha256 hashing algorithm in order to provide some
security to my login facility. I now want to create a facility
whereby, if the user forgets their password, they are emailed a
temporary password so that they can login. Has anyone had any
experience implementing this?
5772c599ccab3081e0fffb1d54f3b6de?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Timberlake (andrewtimberlake)
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Shockmeister
<B00020046@student.itb.ie>wrote:

> I have used a sha256 hashing algorithm in order to provide some
> security to my login facility. I now want to create a facility
> whereby, if the user forgets their password, they are emailed a
> temporary password so that they can login. Has anyone had any
> experience implementing this?

Generally if you're using a hash to store the password, then you will
need
to send users to a page where they can enter a new password.
You can do this by generating a temporary token (random value) that you
include in a url you mail to the user and set it to expire within a few
minutes of being generated. Make sure it's enough time for the password
be reset.

Andrew Timberlake
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
Lovd does just that, take a look at:

lovdbyless.com

http://github.com/stevenbristol/lovd-by-less/tree/master

Cheers, Sazima
32edf22df6932b252d7be5a1b9b766c9?d=identicon&s=25 Shockmeister (Guest)
Cheers Sazima thats a great help!