Forum: Ruby on Rails possibility to save data with javascript?

93b2fedddd38db8c25044d5a9a638ddd?d=identicon&s=25 andi-hro (Guest)
hey,

is in ruby on rails possibility to save data with javascript?

for example to call a controller/action with parameters from a
javascript?

thank you.

andi
On 11 Feb 2009, at 12:37, andi-hro wrote:

> hey,
>
> is in ruby on rails possibility to save data with javascript?
>
> for example to call a controller/action with parameters from a
> javascript?

Well it's not rails specific at all (ie. it's just bog standard client
side stuff) but you can make an ajax request from your javascript. The
easiest way to get started would be to read up about that in whatever
javascript library you're using (prototype, jquery, mootools etc.)

Fred
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2009, at 12:37, andi-hro wrote:
> Well it's not rails specific at all (ie. it's just bog standard client
> side stuff) but you can make an ajax request from your javascript. The
> easiest way to get started would be to read up about that in whatever
> javascript library you're using (prototype, jquery, mootools etc.)

It's not technically accurate to say that using an AJAX request is
"saving" the data from JavaScript. You would actually be "sending" the
data to the server, which would then save the data from the server-side.
But, it would give you access to data stored in JavaScript variables
allowing you to send it to the server for processing via XMLHTTPRequest
(XHR).

Also note that you don't actually have to use a JavaScript framework to
use XMLHTTPRequest, but the frameworks sure make things much easier, and
browser independent.
93b2fedddd38db8c25044d5a9a638ddd?d=identicon&s=25 andi-hro (Guest)
On 11 Feb., 21:41, Robert Walker <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> But, it would give you access to data stored in JavaScript variables
> allowing you to send it to the server for processing via XMLHTTPRequest
> (XHR).
>
> Also note that you don't actually have to use a JavaScript framework to
> use XMLHTTPRequest, but the frameworks sure make things much easier, and
> browser independent.
> --

hello robert,

i tried test this:

function saveNode() {
var lat = document.getElementById("jsla").value;
var lng = document.getElementById("jslg").value;
var getVars =  "?node[lat]=" + lat
+ "&node[name]=" + document.getElementById("jsname").value +
'_savetest'
+ "&node[lng]=" + lng
+ "&node[id]=" + "55"
+ "&authenticity_token=";
var request = GXmlHttp.create();
//call the create action back on the server
request.open('GET', 'create' + getVars, true);

}

do you know, how i can get the authenticity_token and why there is no
answer from the server?