Forum: Ruby on Rails Sessions do not update created_at column?

F3f27949240208ffe170ff8ba6abe6ea?d=identicon&s=25 Arthur Chan (arthurccube)
on 2009-02-11 10:31
Hi All,

I added a column to the sessions table called "created_at" in order to
allow the created time to be recorded.

However, different from other Models, the column does not update
automatically.

Therefore, what codes should I add to update the sessions."created_at"
value?

It is important for avoiding hacker keeping the sessions alive.

Thanks much!
Arthur
On Feb 11, 9:31 am, Arthur Chan <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I added a column to the sessions table called "created_at" in order to
> allow the created time to be recorded.
>
> However, different from other Models, the column does not update
> automatically.

What flavour of active record store do you use ? Some people use ones
which mostly bypass activerecord (and as a result you don't get some
of the stuff AR gives you for free),

Fred
F3f27949240208ffe170ff8ba6abe6ea?d=identicon&s=25 Arthur Chan (arthurccube)
on 2009-02-11 10:46
Hi Fred,

Do you mean?

config.action_controller.session_store = :active_record_store

I am setting up as the above.

Does it mean that I should have the function?

Thanks
Arthur

Frederick Cheung wrote:
> On Feb 11, 9:31�am, Arthur Chan <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I added a column to the sessions table called "created_at" in order to
>> allow the created time to be recorded.
>>
>> However, different from other Models, the column does not update
>> automatically.
>>
> What flavour of active record store do you use ? Some people use ones
> which mostly bypass activerecord (and as a result you don't get some
> of the stuff AR gives you for free),
>
> Fred
Ca0d1fa83b8d8f39a51c0f25b0f17336?d=identicon&s=25 Mathieu Rousseau (Guest)
Created_at is supposed to be filled only at creation time, right?
Shouldn't
you use updated_at instead?

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Arthur Chan <
F3f27949240208ffe170ff8ba6abe6ea?d=identicon&s=25 Arthur Chan (arthurccube)
on 2009-02-11 11:17
Yes.

The problem is that the field has not been filled at any time...

I just want both "created_at" and "updated_at" be filled in
automatically.

Mathieu Rousseau wrote:
> Created_at is supposed to be filled only at creation time, right?
> Shouldn't
> you use updated_at instead?
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Arthur Chan <
Ca0d1fa83b8d8f39a51c0f25b0f17336?d=identicon&s=25 Mathieu Rousseau (Guest)
With default AR it always did this for me automatically... Frederick
said
something about using a different flavour of AR, but that's beyond my
knowledge...

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Arthur Chan <
On 11 Feb 2009, at 10:21, Mathieu Rousseau wrote:

> With default AR it always did this for me automatically... Frederick
> said something about using a different flavour of AR, but that's
> beyond my knowledge...

To expand on what I said, when you use active_record_store you provide
a session class that handles the loading and saving of the data (as
opposed to the other bits of a session store). Rails provides an
implementation which is just a plain old model class but you can
replace that with one that just issues raw sql statements (mostly in
the interest of speed). An example one is included with rails.
Obviously if you didn't know any of that you probably haven;'t done
that :-)

In the absence of all that created_at and updated_at should update
automatically as it is just a regular ActiveRecord class. Dumb
question: did you restart your mongrel or whatever is handling your
requests after you added that column ?

Fred