Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: HowTo install plugins from github?

82ade93bd34b4d7c756ecd1ca95eeeef?d=identicon&s=25 Master Chief 2007 (Guest)
Jason Roelofs wrote:

Hi
I am a noob on RoR and I will agree that this git dependency came in
from
the left field for me too!:confused:

All the documentation I saw about plugins blithely says use the
following
command to install plugin -

rubby script/plugin install acts_as_tree
and it works....

But when I went to try to install acts_as_authenticated and used -
      ruby script/plugin install
git://github.com/gundestrup/acts_as_authenticated.git
      ruby script/generate authenticated user account

I got the error authenticated not found!

working back I found that nothing had been installed in the plug-ins
directory. AND there was no error message  during the install either.

After a lot of hunting on forums, I found this post which says that I
need
to install this git client! That is not consistent.

:thinking:A gem (git-gem?)dependency I could understand.  but a whole
new
client to keep track off?  Rails doesnt need you to install svn or
Perforce
or anything right?  You should need these only if you are going to make
changes to the plug-in....

So thanks for posting this as now I am off to install git  but want to
share
my thoughts.

Quoted from:
http://www.nabble.com/HowTo-install-plugins-from-g...

> Jason Roelofs wrote:
>
> After a lot of hunting on forums, I found this post which says that I need
> to install this git client! That is not consistent.
>
> :thinking:A gem (git-gem?)dependency I could understand.  but a whole new
> client to keep track off?  Rails doesnt need you to install svn or Perforce
> or anything right?  You should need these only if you are going to make
> changes to the plug-in....

You don't need svn to use rails but then you wouldn't be able to
install plugins hosted via svn.
To say rails requires you to install git is back to front: people
started using git to host the plugins they developed and so some nice
person extended script/plugin to be able to install plugins hosted in
such a manner. If it's anyone's "fault" it's the plugin authors for
using git to host their plugins :-)

Fred
23ae9e75998020bacd139c7a5da311fc?d=identicon&s=25 David Herman (Guest)
it should also be noted that most of those plugins that the authors
chose to
host with git will have an http counterpart... I think there is some way
get regular downloads from github

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Frederick Cheung <
82ade93bd34b4d7c756ecd1ca95eeeef?d=identicon&s=25 Sandeep Sagar (Guest)
The http counterpart  is what I was searching for but could not find.

I will try to document my travails as a noob to RoR on WinXP and put it
on
the wiki.

Since I installed the git client and installed my keys, I have been able
get the plugins I needed.

Next up - I will go for will-paginate and see how my "new found" wisdom
helps me :-)

Thanks all, as I have been able to move at such a fast pace with all
these
plugins as compared to any other stack I know of and I have worked on
both
the Java and the .net stacks...

  _____

On Feb 11, 6:42 am, "Sandeep Sagar" <emailssa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The http counterpart  is what I was searching for but could not find.

github allows you to download zip/tar files of projects. I don't think
script/plugin understands that though (but for 99.9% of plugins just
downloading it and unzipping it into vendor/plugins will do the trick.

Fred
Aacb122140cf263d3bed5caa60794ccc?d=identicon&s=25 MarkD (Guest)
Is there a difference between
  ruby script/plugin install git://...
and
  git clone git://...

Does the former do more than copy files into the vendors/plugins
directory? Is the latter safe?

Thanks,
MarkD
51655eeeedad656fad30717c46852437?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Kottom (Guest)
git-clone will simply make a copy of the Git repo (which may or may
require
some tweaking to get it ready for use) wherever you happen to be in the
filesystem whereas script/plugin will place the files in the appropriate
folder and make sure everything is ready to use.