Forum: Ruby on Rails Multiple database sources with Rails 2.2.2

Ffc1ec4856e072a6e84552483dbb9d4b?d=identicon&s=25 Klaus Myrseth (klaus)
on 2009-02-09 10:05
Hi everyone, I'm quite new to RoR but in general wanna try get some of
my holes within Ruby on Rails plugged. At the moment my biggest question
is:

How can you as elegantly as the standard database config use multiple
database sources. For instance if you got a project database in a MsSQL
database, economy data from a Oracle database to get data to fill in a
new database schema in your own control. (I'm a fool for elegant
solutions instead of spaghetti solutions).

I seen myriads of howtos and more about database pooling and more, but
cant for the life of me find anything about this subject. And for the
time being most of my projects have multiple data sources to mine data
from, and I'm eager to try get a new project up running on RoR to get
some more hands on knowledge instead of making hobbyist projects all the
time :D

Thank you in advance!
Ffc1ec4856e072a6e84552483dbb9d4b?d=identicon&s=25 Klaus Myrseth (klaus)
on 2009-02-09 11:59
> How can you as elegantly as the standard database config use multiple
> database sources.

Seems as I posted this I found the solution within the hour :D

class SomeTable < ActiveRecord::Base
  establish_connection :<some database alias from database.yml>
end

Enjoy ;)
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
You can have a separate DB for each model?

Cheers, SAzima

On Feb 9, 8:59 am, Klaus Myrseth <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
20bffe332e5534f3ea328698ecb0a938?d=identicon&s=25 Phil R. (phil_r)
on 2011-08-07 00:19
I too am trying to do this.  It seems like something that should be
easily configurable.  establish_connection :blah
seems to work fine in the model,
however causes problems in the migration used to create that model
ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection :blah

The migration completes successfully but then an exception is thrown:

rake aborted!
An error has occurred, this and all later migrations canceled:

not connected

Tasks: TOP => db:migrate