Forum: IronRuby IIS 7 HttpModule for Rails/Rack with IronRuby

65030f148a97a8c19de608917f505d02?d=identicon&s=25 Will Green (hotgazpacho)
First, I want to say that I'm very excited by the progress of IronRuby.

So, my interrest lies in getting Ruby web applications running through
IIS 7. Specifically Rails, but also others like Sinatra and Merb, all
of which are now built on Rack. Rack implements a new web-to-
application protocol, based partly on Python's WSGI, which supplants
FastCGI.

I've looked, and someone has already created nWSGI on CodePlex. This
project implements WSGI, and hosts IronPython to run the Python app.

I'm thinking of taking a similar approach, but one of the key
requirements of the Rack protocol is that the Rack application's call
method takes exactly one param: a Ruby Hash; it cannot be a subclass.
Reading the status at IronRuby.net, it looks like Hash is not yet
implemented. Is this the case?

I guess I'm looking to see if my project is something that can be done
at this time, or if IronRuby needs some more help before I can attempt
it. I'd be happy to contribute time & code to get this working.

Thanks!

Will Green
Ade8632553a9243ae05fc920f68644c1?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Deville (Guest)
Hash is mostly implemented. Can you post a link to the page where it
shows it as not done? I'll fix it. I don't know if any of the methods
needed by Rack are missing. Jimmy, have you tried this scenario?

In the mean time, if you started down this road, we'd be happy to have
your contributions. If you haven't already, you'll need to get setup to
contribute. The instructions are on the Github wiki at:
http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/contributing.

Thanks,

JD
65030f148a97a8c19de608917f505d02?d=identicon&s=25 Will Green (hotgazpacho)
Woops, looks like it was on the GitHub wiki, and I may have ascribed
more
meaning to what is there:
http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/libraries

I just had this idea this morning after attending a regional Ruby
conference
(acts_as_conference). I'll get right on getting set up.

Thanks!

==
Will
Ad24799da38da64c3b51b745087d60fd?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Hardy (Guest)
Hi Will,
If you want any help (I'm the author of NWSGI) drop me a line. The
specifications certainly are very similar; NWSGI is only a couple
hundred lines, so I doubt a Rack implementation would be any larger.

The really hard part is building the management interface - WinForms
is a huge PITA.

- Jeff
E1deaac6561498a0e7472e6268ea9ccc?d=identicon&s=25 Jimmy Schementi (Guest)
Will,

That page on github is wildly out of date (and I've updated it to say
so). http://ironruby.info will have daily information on where IronRuby
is at with supporting RubySpec, as well as other popular Ruby
frameworks. Right now it's just RubySpec pass/fail information, but
stack traces and more data are coming soon.
1e39a948a58f4569c53d971c2e120920?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Porto carrero (casualjim)
Hi Will,

I'd be keen to help you with that.. If you've created a project on
github
please post the url so we can clone, fork and contribute :)

cheers
Ivan

2009/2/9 Will Green <will@hotgazpacho.org>
65030f148a97a8c19de608917f505d02?d=identicon&s=25 Will Green (hotgazpacho)
Awesome. I haven’t had a chance to get started yet; very hectic at work
this week.