Test .net code with ruby BDD libraries

Good morning,

I would try to test my .net code using a BDD approach.

I believe Ruby has a clean syntax and great libraries to do BDD so I
would
use one them on IronRuby.

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

Claudio M.

“I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best”- Oscar
Wilde

Hi,

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Did not use RSpec yet (as it was reported to be slow), but MSpec (BDD) and
Test::Unit (can be BDD too) did the trick.

Check out this for a few hints and thoughts:
http://blog.logeek.fr/2008/12/1/thoughts-on-ironruby-and-dotnet-testing

cheers,

– Thibaut

I posted a way of testing .net code with ruby a few months back. It
incorporates autotest also.
http://www.curtismitchell.com/2b/?p=15

Sent from my mobile

.NET Interop - Getting Started With IronRuby And RSpec, Part 1 | Microsoft Learn

Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Claudio M.

I’ve using bacon (GitHub - leahneukirchen/bacon: a small RSpec clone) to test C#
Silverlight code, and it works great on the desktop as well. It’s
definitely the smallest of the bdd libraries, and feels fastest, but
I’ve got no data to support that (yet).

http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2009/01/dynamic-language-testing-in-silverlight.html

However, don’t expect any mocking libraries to work. You can’t mock C#
types, and have those changes be visible to other C# code. We need to
write a ruby wrapper around existing C# mocking libraries, so let me
know if anyone is interested in doing so.

~js

[[email protected]] On Behalf Of Thibaut Barrère
[[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:10 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Ironruby-core] test .net code with ruby BDD libraries

Hi,

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Did not use RSpec yet (as it was reported to be slow), but MSpec (BDD)
and Test::Unit (can be BDD too) did the trick.

Check out this for a few hints and thoughts:
http://blog.logeek.fr/2008/12/1/thoughts-on-ironruby-and-dotnet-testing

cheers,

– Thibaut

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

Claudio M.

“I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best”- Oscar
Wilde

It’s exactly what I’m looking for

Thanks

Claudio

ps.

Thanks again for coming at ALT.NET conf!

[email protected] wrote:

Good morning,

I would try to test my .net code using a BDD approach.

I believe Ruby has a clean syntax and great libraries to do BDD so I
would use one them on IronRuby.

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

Claudio M.

“I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best”- Oscar
Wilde

Hi Jimmy,

I would try bacon cause it looks simple but I canÂ’t get it working.

I installed bacon using gem and now is located in
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\bacon-1.1.0

I edited my ir.exe.config file as follow

  <set language="Ruby" option="LibraryPaths"

value="c:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8;c:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby;c:\ruby\l
ib\ruby\1.8;c:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems" />

</options>

But I get this error

C:\Projects\IronRuby>ir.exe

IronRuby 1.0.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.3053

require ‘bacon’

IronRuby.Libraries:0:in `require’: no such file to load – bacon
(LoadError)

    from :0

What’s wrong ?

Thanks

Claudio

Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:10 AM
To: [email protected]

Hi,

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Did not use RSpec yet (as it was reported to be slow), but MSpec (BDD)
and
Test::Unit (can be BDD too) did the trick.

Check out this for a few hints and thoughts:
http://blog.logeek.fr/2008/12/1/thoughts-on-ironruby-and-dotnet-testing

cheers,

– Thibaut

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

Claudio M.

“I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best”- Oscar
Wilde

Hi Claudio

try this:

require ‘rubygems’
require ‘bacon’

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Claudio M.

Hi Ivan,

now I get this error L

C:\Projects\IronRuby>ir

IronRuby 1.0.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.3053

require ‘rubygems’

IronRuby.Libraries:0:in `require’: no such file to load – rbconfig
(LoadError)

    from :0

    from IronRuby.Libraries:0:in `require'

    from :0

Thanks

Claudio

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Claudio M.
[email protected] wrote:

Hi Jimmy,

I would try bacon cause it looks simple but I can’t get it working.

I installed bacon using gem and now is located in
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\bacon-1.1.0

I edited my ir.exe.config file as follow

  <set language="Ruby" option="LibraryPaths"

value="c:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby\1.8;c:\ruby\lib\ruby\site_ruby;c:\ruby\lib\ruby\1.8;c:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems"
/>

Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:10 AM
To: [email protected]

Hi,

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Did not use RSpec yet (as it was reported to be slow), but MSpec (BDD)
and Test::Unit (can be BDD too) did the trick.

Check out this for a few hints and thoughts:
http://blog.logeek.fr/2008/12/1/thoughts-on-ironruby-and-dotnet-testing

cheers,

– Thibaut

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

Claudio M.

“I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best”- Oscar
Wilde

Ironruby-core mailing list

You can just require the file with its full path. In your case:

require ‘C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\bacon-1.1.0\lib\bacon.rb’
2009/2/9 Claudio M. [email protected]

This works but I would understand why require ‘bacon’ does not.

Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:10 AM
To: [email protected]

Hi,

Has someone already try to test .net code with ruby DBB library?

If the answer is yes, is there somewhere a sample/post/article of this
work?

Did not use RSpec yet (as it was reported to be slow), but MSpec (BDD)
and
Test::Unit (can be BDD too) did the trick.

Check out this for a few hints and thoughts:
http://blog.logeek.fr/2008/12/1/thoughts-on-ironruby-and-dotnet-testing

cheers,

– Thibaut

Many thanks in advance

Claudio

Claudio M.

“I have the simplest taste. I am always satisfied with the best”- Oscar
Wilde

Ironruby-core mailing list

Ironruby-core mailing list

Hi Claudio

What I did was the following:

I cloned ironruby from git
then i build it using rake

I use this .cmd file in the git root folder which is C:\tools\ironruby
in my
case

@ECHO OFF
cd merlin/main/Languages/Ruby
ECHO “compiling debug version”
rake compile
cd …/…/…/…
ECHO “All done”

I then change the line in ir.exe.config that sets the paths to read like
this:

I also added the path
C:\tools\ironruby\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts
to the PATH variable (that gives you access to igem, irake etc.)

That should get ironruby gems to work you can test it by doing igem
–version or igem env

At this point rubygems seems to be broken in ironruby I get an error

c:\tools\ironruby\merlin\main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Zlib\zlib.cs:517:in
inflate' rubygems.rb:395:in inflate’
spec_fetcher.rb:77:in fetch_spec' spec_fetcher.rb:64:in fetch’

c:\tools\ironruby\merlin\main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Extensions\IListOps.cs:700:in
`each’

c:\tools\ironruby\merlin\main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtins\Enumerable.cs:88:in
map' spec_fetcher.rb:61:in fetch’
dependency_installer.rb:75:in find_gems_with_sources' dependency_installer.rb:162:in find_spec_by_name_and_version’
dependency_installer.rb:206:in install' install_command.rb:70:in execute’

c:\tools\ironruby\merlin\main\Languages\Ruby\Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Extensions\IListOps.cs:700:in
each' install_command.rb:45:in execute’
command.rb:129:in invoke' command_manager.rb:86:in process_args’
command_manager.rb:74:in run' gem_runner.rb:25:in run’
:0

so to make bacon work you install it with MRI.
Then you can copy the folder bacon-1.1.0 from the folders gems, doc,
specification in C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8
to the folders gems, doc, specification in
C:\tools\ironruby\merlin\external\languages\ruby\ruby-1.8.6\lib\ironruby\gems\1.8

When I did that I could do:

  • C:\Users\Ivan Porto C.
    » ir
    IronRuby 1.0.0.0 on .NET 2.0.50727.3053

require ‘rubygems’
=> true
require ‘bacon’
=> true

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Jimmy S. <

Sounds like rubygems isn’t working correctly on your setup of IronRuby.
It’s complaining about not finding rbconfig, which gems needs to load.
It doesn’t have anything to do with bacon, so for now avoid loading it
as a gem.

We don’t have good documentation about how to get gems working in custom
build of IronRuby, but that’s something I’ll be adding shortly. Ivan has
gone down the path of getting this set up already, so maybe he can give
you some pointers. Ivan?

~js

This works but I would understand why require ‘bacon’ does not.

You can just require the file with its full path.
In your case:

require ‘C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\bacon-1.1.0\lib\bacon.rb’

2009/2/9 Claudio M.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]>

Hi Ivan,

now I get this error :frowning:

C:\Projects\IronRuby>ir

From: