Forum: wxRuby Documentation morass

755ce658078632d051cc60c811613066?d=identicon&s=25 Ann M. (ann_m)
I am having a horrible time finding data that I need to learn ruby and
wxruby.   I even downloaded the source in order to try to use the
Windows
Search tools on it.

For Instance, the printing.rb sample starts with
       WXPRINT_QUIT = WX::ID_EXIT
Using Windows to search the supposed source I do not find any string
ID_EXIT
in any file.

Later in the printing.rb sample one finds the following code snippet

--------------------------------
 # GetTextExtent demo:
    words = ["This ", "is ", "GetTextExtent ", "testing ", "string. ",
"Enjoy ", "it!"]
    w, h = 0,0
    x = 200
    y= 250
    fnt = Wx::Font.new(15, Wx::SWISS, Wx::NORMAL, Wx::NORMAL)
Once again a constant Wx::SWISS is not found by the windows search
engine.

I may have the wrong source.  Where do I get the right source?

Looking at the documentation on line is very frustrating.   Can this
documentation by downloaded and read with some tool?

Later
85991f138ede6236f35eb98da22b7b01?d=identicon&s=25 Marvin Gülker (quintus)
00109e19a784b64f81b483a5dbec690a?d=identicon&s=25 Chauk-Mean Proum (chauk-mean)

2011/5/24 Ann Maybury <ann.maybury@gmail.com>:
> I am having a horrible time finding data that I need to learn ruby and
> wxruby. I even downloaded the source in order to try to use the Windows
> Search tools on it.
>
> For Instance, the printing.rb sample starts with
>  WXPRINT_QUIT = WX::ID_EXIT
> Using Windows to search the supposed source I do not find any string ID_EXIT
> in any file.

Most wxRuby definitions (classes, constants) come from wxWidgets C++
source code.
So you will not see them as Ruby definitions in .rb files.
SWIG is the glue that makes C++ definitions appears as Ruby definitions.
So you need to look for C++ header files included in SWIG interface
files (.i).

> Looking at the documentation on line is very frustrating. Can this
> documentation by downloaded and read with some tool?

The HTML documentation can be downloaded from the rubyforge site :
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=35

Cheers,
Chauk-Mean