Forum: IronRuby automating VS

1e39a948a58f4569c53d971c2e120920?d=identicon&s=25 Ivan Porto carrero (casualjim)
Hi

A while ago I remeber seeing a screencast where John Lam shows how to
use
ironruby to automate visual studio.
I can't find the screencast anymore but I would be interested to know
which
API was used. Was that just using EnvDTE ?

I'm asking because at work we are using GAT to automate visual studio
and to
create a kind of software factory (without the visual designers)
When it comes to developing with GAT I think most of us will agree that
there are more pleasant ways to develop and debug your work.

So I may get the chance to get them to use IronRuby for some of that
stuff
as long as we can hide from the use case/LOB developers.
Using GAT for us is a hazard to make our sprints. Most of our story
points
for example go into GAT development and debugging, granted that we do
make
it do some crazy stuff too.

Thanks
68f1bd9e9a7d9d10f0278c6535f700fe?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Letterle (mletterle)
Ivan,

The RubyConf2008 talk? It's on confreaks:
http://rubyconf2008.confreaks.com/ironruby.html

I'm pretty sure it's using the new managed API for VS2010.. EnvDTE is
painfull...
68f1bd9e9a7d9d10f0278c6535f700fe?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Letterle (mletterle)
D'oh, it's not RubyConf it's PDC:
http://mschnlnine.vo.llnwd.net/d1/pdc08/WMV/TL44.wmv check around the
35minute mark.

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Michael Letterle
<michael.letterle@gmail.com
E1deaac6561498a0e7472e6268ea9ccc?d=identicon&s=25 Jimmy Schementi (Guest)
Na, that was definitely VS 2008. We just had our VS ninja Oleg write a
VS extension that hosts the DLR, so Ruby code could control VS. But
beats me if I know where that VS extension is.

~js

I'm pretty sure it's using the new managed API for VS2010.. EnvDTE is
painfull...
On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Ivan Porto Carrero
<ivan@flanders.co.nz<mailto:ivan@flanders.co.nz>> wrote:
[...]

C98ff02b6d5c06f185a30ed1a69db766?d=identicon&s=25 Oleg Tkachenko (Guest)
Yes, that was VS 2008. Unfortunately the demo contained some unreleased
features so I couldn't publish the code. But the idea was simple - an
addin-manager (C#) that hosts DLR and allows ruby scripts to create and
handle menu commands:

require 'rubyaddin'

class TestRunnerAddin < RubyAddin
    set_command_label "Run Test"
    set_command_tooltip "Run selected test"
    set_command_menu "Code Window"

    def self.execute()
        ctx = get_vs_context()
        file = ctx.ActiveDocument

But then to make something useful you still need to cope with EnvDTE
(which was provided as part of context).

--
Oleg

[...]

I'm pretty sure there's a demo out there somewhere with John using 2010
and
interacting with the new xaml code editor...