Forum: Ruby on Rails Property of text area in readonly mode

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
4dc35461ed278afdfa194eb0d5764ef8?d=identicon&s=25 savitha sreekumar (savitha)
on 2009-02-05 08:51
Hi all,
How to make an html textarea read only in one mode and make the same
textfield as editable in other mode? can anyone give me a solution for
this?

Thanks in advance
80e4cb97cae5c8d745f72337d93fd8f2?d=identicon&s=25 MaD (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 09:41
(Received via mailing list)
set the readonly attribute and change it if necessary via AJAX.
3131fcea0a711e5ad89c8d49cc9253b4?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Leviston (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 05:15
(Received via mailing list)
HTML property is disabled="true"

If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

On 05/02/2009, at 6:51 PM, sam rlo <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net>
4dc35461ed278afdfa194eb0d5764ef8?d=identicon&s=25 savitha sreekumar (savitha)
on 2009-02-09 10:24
Julian Leviston wrote:
> HTML property is disabled="true"
>
> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api
>
> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
>
> On 05/02/2009, at 6:51 PM, sam rlo <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net>

Thanks a lot
00973881979aa0a660ffbbb2f7a907fb?d=identicon&s=25 Peter De Berdt (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 12:50
(Received via mailing list)
On 09 Feb 2009, at 10:24, sam rlo wrote:

>> HTML property is disabled="true"
>>
>> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api

The correct notation is:

disabled="disabled"

as defined by the API at
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_disabled.asp
  and http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_option_disabled.asp


Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Ca0d1fa83b8d8f39a51c0f25b0f17336?d=identicon&s=25 Mathieu Rousseau (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 16:06
(Received via mailing list)
Setting a HTML element (textarea, select, input...) as disabled would
not
skip this element from being submitted??
00973881979aa0a660ffbbb2f7a907fb?d=identicon&s=25 Peter De Berdt (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 16:14
(Received via mailing list)
Disabled form elements are not submitted. You can try with

readonly="readonly"

That may or may not work, you'll have to test it out.

The other option is to enable the input element just before submitting
the form (use Javascript to enable it).


On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:00, Mathieu Rousseau wrote:

>>> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api
>
> The correct notation is:
>
> disabled="disabled"
>
> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_disabled.asp
>  and http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_option_disabled.asp



Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Bee69cfed999cd13e3bff73d472a39ee?d=identicon&s=25 Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 16:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Peter De Berdt
<peter.de.berdt@pandora.be> wrote:

> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/

Why in the world would you specify a non-definitive third-party web
site for "the API" when the actual recommendation is available???

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/> is the real deal. And yes, everyone
doing web development should read and bookmark it.

FWIW,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
00973881979aa0a660ffbbb2f7a907fb?d=identicon&s=25 Peter De Berdt (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 16:15
(Received via mailing list)
But I really don't see a reason why you would want to do that. Since
you want the form element to be readonly, it kind of implies you don't
want its value submitted back to the server.

On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:13, Peter De Berdt wrote:

> On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:00, Mathieu Rousseau wrote:
>>>>
>>>> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api
>>
>> The correct notation is:
>>
>> disabled="disabled"
>>
>> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_disabled.asp
>>  and http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_option_disabled.asp

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
00973881979aa0a660ffbbb2f7a907fb?d=identicon&s=25 Peter De Berdt (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 16:21
(Received via mailing list)
On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:14, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

>> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/
>
> Why in the world would you specify a non-definitive third-party web
> site for "the API" when the actual recommendation is available???
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/> is the real deal. And yes, everyone
> doing web development should read and bookmark it.

Because they say exactly the same thing, only the w3.org page is less
clear imho.


Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Bee69cfed999cd13e3bff73d472a39ee?d=identicon&s=25 Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 16:31
(Received via mailing list)
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Peter De Berdt
<peter.de.berdt@pandora.be> wrote:

> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/> is the real deal. And yes, everyone
> doing web development should read and bookmark it.
>
> Because they say exactly the same thing, only the w3.org page is less clear
> imho.

But it's unequivocally correct, whereas the "w3schools" version has
had reported errors, at least in the past.

When in doubt, going to the actual recommendation/RFC/standard
is preferable practice, IMHO.

YMMV,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.