Forum: Ruby on Rails setup up svn on my server

77a811c8d7af8f0460d63a3747c85dc7?d=identicon&s=25 Ankit Parekh (ankitparekh)
on 2009-02-05 07:34
Hi all

Here is the thing that I want to do. What I want is that As soon as I
commit the changes to my svn which resides on beanstalk i want those
changes to get reflected to my website too.

Can any one tell me a step by step process to do it? Or provide me a
link for the same.

Thanks
80e4cb97cae5c8d745f72337d93fd8f2?d=identicon&s=25 MaD (Guest)
for deployment of rails-apps take a look at capistrano:
http://www.capify.org/
77a811c8d7af8f0460d63a3747c85dc7?d=identicon&s=25 Ankit Parekh (ankitparekh)
on 2009-02-05 07:56
MaD wrote:
> for deployment of rails-apps take a look at capistrano:
> http://www.capify.org/

Yes I know capistrano but isnt there any other way out to do it?
80e4cb97cae5c8d745f72337d93fd8f2?d=identicon&s=25 MaD (Guest)
isn't capistrano a great way to do it?

just write a little rake task to match your needs and all it takes is
one single call.
77a811c8d7af8f0460d63a3747c85dc7?d=identicon&s=25 Ankit Parekh (ankitparekh)
on 2009-02-05 08:30
MaD wrote:
> isn't capistrano a great way to do it?
>
> just write a little rake task to match your needs and all it takes is
> one single call.

yes capistrano is the best way out but i wanted to find out something
else.

Thanks a lot for your help
08182d53361d7ecbb602cb62c8fafe1a?d=identicon&s=25 Billee D. (Guest)
There is really no "automatic" way to update the working copy on your
server. But, if you have SSH you can update your repo, login to your
server over SSH, and in the root directory you have under version
control type this command:

svn update

You should see some files fly by you with your recently changed files.
Then you need to restart your server. This differs depending on the
web server you use (and various modules like mod_rails). For example,
if I'm using Passenger I just need to type the following at the
command line to restart the server instance(s):

touch tmp/restart.txt

And then hit your site in a web browser. That should be it.

However, like MaD pointed out, if you used Capistrano all of this
would be done with one simple Rake task. Capistrano is really the way
to go if you want to perform as few steps as possible to deploy/
redeploy your Rails app.

On Feb 5, 1:34 am, Ankit Parekh <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
On 5 Feb 2009, at 14:45, Billee D. wrote:

> There is really no "automatic" way to update the working copy on your
> server. But, if you have SSH you can update your repo, login to your
> server over SSH, and in the root directory you have under version
> control type this command:

You could have a commit hook. Restarting your production app every
time you commit a change doesn't sound like a great idea though

Fred
Ca0d1fa83b8d8f39a51c0f25b0f17336?d=identicon&s=25 Mathieu Rousseau (Guest)
Maybe it's just me, but automatically reflect every svn commit to a
production app does not sound like a great idea either...

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Frederick Cheung
<frederick.cheung@gmail.com