Forum: wxRuby wxRuby - Segmentation fault

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
2885208195c6ed44170cd47d97113503?d=identicon&s=25 Ridge McGhee (rmcghee)
on 2009-02-05 01:07
# Windows XP Professional + SP3
# ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
# wxruby (1.9.9)

If you can tell me how to update to 1.9.10, I'd be happy to run
this and a few other tests.  Also, if I should be posting bugs
somewhere else, please let me know.

Here's a bit of code to reproduce a seg fault:
-----------------------------------------------------------
require 'wx'
include Wx

class MyGui < App
    def on_init
  frame = Frame.new(nil, -1, 'Seg fault')
        panel = Panel.new(frame, -1)

  500.times { Window.new(frame) }

        frame.show()
    end
end

MyGui.new.main_loop()
-----------------------------------------------------------

If the number is 64 (instead of 500), it doesn't seg fault
(on my system).

Keep up the good work Alex.  I'm looking forward to the
new release.
2885208195c6ed44170cd47d97113503?d=identicon&s=25 Ridge McGhee (rmcghee)
on 2009-02-05 01:21
Ridge Mcghee wrote:
> # Windows XP Professional + SP3
> # ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
> # wxruby (1.9.9)
>
> If you can tell me how to update to 1.9.10, I'd be happy to run
> this and a few other tests.  Also, if I should be posting bugs
> somewhere else, please let me know.
>
> Here's a bit of code to reproduce a seg fault:
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> require 'wx'
> include Wx
>
> class MyGui < App
>     def on_init
>   frame = Frame.new(nil, -1, 'Seg fault')
>         panel = Panel.new(frame, -1)
>
>   500.times { Window.new(frame) }
>
>         frame.show()
>     end
> end
>
> MyGui.new.main_loop()
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> If the number is 64 (instead of 500), it doesn't seg fault
> (on my system).
>
> Keep up the good work Alex.  I'm looking forward to the
> new release.

I should note that:

"gem install wxruby" still points to 1.9.9 (as of 2009-Feb-04 16:00:00
PST)
"gem install wxruby2" doesn't work (and probably isn't supposed to)
06f6780c99d4a8dd71f2b474082ea9ce?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Fenton (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 04:04
(Received via mailing list)
Ridge Mcghee wrote:
> # Windows XP Professional + SP3
> # ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
> # wxruby (1.9.9)
>
> If you can tell me how to update to 1.9.10, I'd be happy to run
> this and a few other tests.

It can sometimes take a little time for the gem indexes to update, but
it seems to have happened now:

Abaddon:~ alex$ sudo gem install wxruby
Successfully installed wxruby-1.9.10-universal-darwin-9
1 gem installed
Abaddon:~ alex$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.6 (2008-03-03 patchlevel 114) [universal-darwin9.0]

As an alternative, you can always download the gem file from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=35 and then do "gem install
<filename>" to install from a local file.

> Also, if I should be posting bugs
> somewhere else, please let me know.
>

Here is fine. If you have a rubyforge account, you can instead post bugs
direct to the rubyforge tracker
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=218&group_id=35 which helps us track
them. Being logged in when filing a bug ensures we can get further
information if needed.

>   500.times { Window.new(frame) }
>
>         frame.show()
>     end
> end
>
> MyGui.new.main_loop()
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>

Thanks for the sample code. It works fine for me on OS X; I'll try it on
Windows when I get a chance.

alex
2885208195c6ed44170cd47d97113503?d=identicon&s=25 Ridge McGhee (rmcghee)
on 2009-02-07 04:44
Alex Fenton wrote:
> Ridge Mcghee wrote:
>> # Windows XP Professional + SP3
>> # ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
>> # wxruby (1.9.9)
>>
>> If you can tell me how to update to 1.9.10, I'd be happy to run
>> this and a few other tests.
>
> It can sometimes take a little time for the gem indexes to update, but
> it seems to have happened now:

Yep, I just installed 1.9.10 - thanks.


> Thanks for the sample code. It works fine for me on OS X; I'll try it on
> Windows when I get a chance.

I just tried it on 1.9.10 and it still seg faults (on exit).

Ridge
00109e19a784b64f81b483a5dbec690a?d=identicon&s=25 Chauk-Mean Proum (chauk-mean)
on 2009-02-07 10:36
(Received via mailing list)
Hi Ridge,

2009/2/7 Ridge Mcghee <lists@ruby-forum.com>:
> I just tried it on 1.9.10 and it still seg faults (on exit).
>

I've been able to reproduce the seg fault with ruby-1.9.1 on MinGW.
On Linux, the exit takes some time but does not seg faults.

Chauk-Mean.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.