Forum: Ruby Input text and take text from different places?

907f29cb608004d2156d5ce88240f09b?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Mcd (zonbi)
on 2009-02-03 17:37
I haven't been able to find anything on this, so here goes:

Is it possible to be 'puts'ing text to one place on the terminal while
'gets'in from another?
I have setup with VT100 control codes a basic layout for my MUD client,
with a line of dashes ('-') going across the second from bottom line. I
tried setting it up so that the thread that handles input from the MUD
moves the cursor (via control codes) to line 22 (above the 'split' line)
to add in the MUD output, and then move it back down to 24 so that the
user typing sees their commands being typed down below the split. But
this isn't working so well. Is there any way to take text input from one
place while putting text into another place? Have two cursors in the
terminal? Just a possibility xD
54404bcac0f45bf1c8e8b827cd9bb709?d=identicon&s=25 7stud -- (7stud)
on 2009-02-03 19:47
Tim Mcd wrote:
> Is there any way to take text input from one
> place while putting text into another place?

Check out Curses.
907f29cb608004d2156d5ce88240f09b?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Mcd (zonbi)
on 2009-02-03 21:02
7stud -- wrote:
> Tim Mcd wrote:
>> Is there any way to take text input from one
>> place while putting text into another place?
>
> Check out Curses.

I'm trying to stay away from Curses/Ncurses.