Forum: Ruby Link xampp mysql to Ruby's

7759594c66801d6f311ff38fd3ddef2a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gunnels (ballhogjoni)
on 2009-02-01 21:03
I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Chris Gunnels <rfsllc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have xampp running on my computer now and I have mysql working with
> that. Is there a way to link Ruby to use the xampp mysql settings so I
> don't have to install mysql twice on my computer?

I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
was initially installed.
7759594c66801d6f311ff38fd3ddef2a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gunnels (ballhogjoni)
on 2009-02-01 21:39
Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
> access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
> was initially installed.

how would you go about doing that.
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Chris Gunnels <rfsllc@gmail.com> wrote:

> how would you go about doing that.

How are you intending to use MySQL? From a stand-along Ruby
program, from Rails, ___________?

Regardless, you need to know the MySQL username and password,
socket or port # to connect to, etc. -- those are the same whether you
connect from Ruby, Java, PHP, whatever.
C482081f2c6c893c26f72f6e31999bcb?d=identicon&s=25 Zac Brown (Guest)
Chris Gunnels wrote:
> Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>
>> I don't know what "settings" you're referring to, but you can certainly
>> access the instance of MySQL on your system, regardless of how it
>> was initially installed.
>
> how would you go about doing that.

You would create some settings file and ask the Ruby mysql handler to
use those
settings... Its just a matter of using the same settings. As long as the
server
address, username, pass, and so on match you should be able to access it
from
any language you want.

-Zac