Forum: Ruby rake db:migrate not working

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
7759594c66801d6f311ff38fd3ddef2a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gunnels (ballhogjoni)
on 2009-01-31 18:03
I keep getting access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

this is all I have in my database.yml file:
development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: devel
  user: root
  password: xxxxxx
  host: localhost
Aafa8848c4b764f080b1b31a51eab73d?d=identicon&s=25 Phlip (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 18:21
(Received via mailing list)
Chris Gunnels wrote:

> I keep getting access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
> this is all I have in my database.yml file:
> development:
>   adapter: mysql
>   database: devel
>   user: root
>   password: xxxxxx
>   host: localhost

This is a Rails question (Ruby is a language) - further discussion
belongs on
Ruby on Rails Talk forum at Google Groups.

Run this at a command prompt:

   mysql -uroot

If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
password
line in that YAML file!
7759594c66801d6f311ff38fd3ddef2a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gunnels (ballhogjoni)
on 2009-01-31 18:37
Phlip wrote:

>
> This is a Rails question (Ruby is a language) - further discussion
> belongs on
> Ruby on Rails Talk forum at Google Groups.
>
> Run this at a command prompt:
>
>    mysql -uroot
>
> If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
> password
> line in that YAML file!

Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
get the same error, but this time it says password: NO
Aafa8848c4b764f080b1b31a51eab73d?d=identicon&s=25 Phlip (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 19:00
(Received via mailing list)
Chris Gunnels wrote:

>>    mysql -uroot
>>
>> If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
>> password
>> line in that YAML file!
>
> Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
> get the same error, but this time it says password: NO

mysql -uroot -p

that means prompt for a password...

You could also reinstall mysql...
7759594c66801d6f311ff38fd3ddef2a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gunnels (ballhogjoni)
on 2009-01-31 19:56
Phlip wrote:
> Chris Gunnels wrote:
>
>>>    mysql -uroot
>>>
>>> If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
>>> password
>>> line in that YAML file!
>>
>> Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
>> get the same error, but this time it says password: NO
>
> mysql -uroot -p
>
> that means prompt for a password...
>
> You could also reinstall mysql...

i took out the password in the database.yml file and now it says that my
devel database is Unknown. I made sure the database is there, so I don't
know what the problem is.
7759594c66801d6f311ff38fd3ddef2a?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Gunnels (ballhogjoni)
on 2009-02-01 00:27
>>> Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
>>> get the same error, but this time it says password: NO
>>
>> mysql -uroot -p
>>
>> that means prompt for a password...
>>
>> You could also reinstall mysql...
>
> i took out the password in the database.yml file and now it says that my
> devel database is Unknown. I made sure the database is there, so I don't
> know what the problem is.

BUMP
Aafa8848c4b764f080b1b31a51eab73d?d=identicon&s=25 Phlip (Guest)
on 2009-02-01 01:50
(Received via mailing list)
Chris Gunnels wrote:

>> i took out the password in the database.yml file and now it says that my
>> devel database is Unknown. I made sure the database is there, so I don't
>> know what the problem is.
>
> BUMP

No bump: Post a new, complete request to the Ruby on Rails Talk forum at
Google
Groups!

Make sure to tell them what 'show databases;' returns inside MySQL!
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.