Forum: RSpec OK... What is ... fu ?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
171ea139761951336b844e708d1547ab?d=identicon&s=25 James Byrne (byrnejb)
on 2009-01-30 15:49
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
gems and such?

I have run across this suffix a number of times in Ruby and Rails,
always in connection with some add-on or extension.  In the original
context that I encountered '_fu' I inferred that it probably stood for
file upload.  However, its widespread use in other contexts evidently
disproves this interpretation. So, does it have a meaning?  Does it
derive from the foo in foobar? Does it stand for functional update? Or,
is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
994e42bda994be2cd1d791f18ee6d561?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Eley (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 16:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM, James Byrne <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
> gems and such?

>From "kung fu."  It's a joke.



--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)
   ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine
   http://www.escapepod.org
C694a032be7518a0d704318895f8fe1d?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Mabey (mabes)
on 2009-01-30 16:16
(Received via mailing list)
James Byrne wrote:
>
"I have some mad kung-fu skills!"

"Oh, yeah!  I have some killer ruby-fu skills!"

Does that help? :)

-Ben
48641c4be1fbe167929fb16c9fd94990?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Wilden (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 16:16
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM, James Byrne <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
> gems and such?
>

Kung fu.

///ark
5d38ab152e1e3e219512a9859fcd93af?d=identicon&s=25 David Chelimsky (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 16:17
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM, James Byrne <lists@ruby-forum.com>
wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
> gems and such?
>
> I have run across this suffix a number of times in Ruby and Rails,
> always in connection with some add-on or extension.  In the original
> context that I encountered '_fu' I inferred that it probably stood for
> file upload.  However, its widespread use in other contexts evidently
> disproves this interpretation. So, does it have a meaning?  Does it
> derive from the foo in foobar? Does it stand for functional update? Or,
> is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200601/25/eng200...
Cdf378de2284d8acf137122e541caa28?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Wynne (mattwynne)
on 2009-01-30 16:17
(Received via mailing list)
On 30 Jan 2009, at 14:49, James Byrne wrote:

> is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
Think 'Kung Fu' and you're getting there. It's a bit like The Force.
Or what Robert M. Pirsig calls 'gumption'.
1b32ae81cae0813e933ca2f8be830c9f?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Flipse (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 16:19
(Received via mailing list)
Think Kung-Fu

It's not an abbreviation, it's a suffix that's supposed to imply a
certain
level of kick-assery

http://catb.org/jargon/html/F/suffix-fu.html
49de4cd2f26705785cbef2b15a9df7aa?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Hoffman (nickh)
on 2009-01-30 16:19
(Received via mailing list)
On 30/01/2009, at 9:49 AM, James Byrne wrote:
> is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
I figure it means "skill", and originates from "kung-fu". So
attachment_fu would be implying "strong attachment skills". Also, I've
heard people say things like "My <something> fu is better than yours."

At least, that's my interpretation...
874be46e8593deadb2cec84b70b26725?d=identicon&s=25 Yi Wen (hayafirst)
on 2009-01-30 16:33
(Received via mailing list)
This "Fu" you refer to is actually different than "Fu" as in "Kung-Fu".
The
fu as in kung-fu by itself, means husband. In Ancient Chinese, it also
means
wise person, such as confucius(Kong Fu Zi).
3399cbfb9e5fec93c324789b29309911?d=identicon&s=25 Pat Nakajima (patnakajima)
on 2009-01-30 16:50
(Received via mailing list)
Speaking as the author of a "-fu" project, I'll say that I named
acts_as_fu that way because it aids the creation of ActiveRecord
extensions, which very commonly have names starting with "acts_as" or
ending with "fu". This sort of meta-extension of that workflow means
that you can look at it in two ways: It lets you write projects that
act as "fu", or it increases your "acts_as"-fu. It's also just
obnoxious. :)

Pat
171ea139761951336b844e708d1547ab?d=identicon&s=25 James Byrne (byrnejb)
on 2009-01-30 17:01
Mark Wilden wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM, James Byrne <lists@ruby-forum.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
>> gems and such?
>>
>
> Kung fu.
>

Ah... Thanks.  I understand the reference now. My own martial arts
training leans more to FN than FU so I did not make the connection.
8f6f95c4bd64d5f10dfddfdcd03c19d6?d=identicon&s=25 Rick Denatale (rdenatale)
on 2009-01-30 19:13
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM, David Chelimsky
<dchelimsky@gmail.com>wrote:

> > is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
>
> http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200601/25/eng200...
>
>
And of course according to the last meaning of Fu in that article*, the
technical meaning of Fu is

   Fu is having the ability to run Windows applications on Linux or OS
X.
<G>


* "Fu is having wine"

--
Rick DeNatale

Blog: http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/RickDeNatale
2837408ba0375c40b235f0a5a5107d37?d=identicon&s=25 Doug Livesey (biot023)
on 2009-01-31 05:48
(Received via mailing list)
And of course the pinnacle of geekdom is to be known as a 'poodle', or
one
who is skilled in being skilled; a fu-fu.Damn', I appear to be posting
drunk
again ...

2009/1/30 Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com>
387fb00ef9d6d523d43018d9c81ab36b?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Linowes (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 14:15
(Received via mailing list)
And of course, when spelled out, F-U, has a whole different meaning...
48641c4be1fbe167929fb16c9fd94990?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Wilden (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 17:11
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Jonathan Linowes
<jonathan@parkerhill.com>wrote:

> And of course, when spelled out, F-U, has a whole different meaning...
>

We just had a presentation by the developers of a Mongrel replacement
called
Fuzed.

///ark
42172acdf3c6046f84d644cb0b94642c?d=identicon&s=25 Pat Maddox (pergesu)
on 2009-01-31 18:08
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Mark Wilden <mark@mwilden.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Jonathan Linowes <jonathan@parkerhill.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> And of course, when spelled out, F-U, has a whole different meaning...
>
> We just had a presentation by the developers of a Mongrel replacement called
> Fuzed.

Which, if you remember "Rails is a Ghetto," Zed did NOT like.

Pat
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.