Forum: Ruby on Rails Can I "fake" an object model on top of a flat ActiveRecord?

A24e589de07cb769a71f28aead957a48?d=identicon&s=25 Duane Morin (dmorin)
on 2009-01-29 00:40
This might be a painfully bad idea, but it's gotten me curious.  I have
a generic object Node, which has a name attribute.  Say for example that
one of the names is "Widget".

What I'm wondering is, is there a way to manipulate ActiveRecord to make
a class  named Widget, that behaves exactly like a Node with the only
difference being that all operations only work on the condition
(name="Widget") is true?  I can do a simple    class Widget < Node   to
get it started, but I'm looking for what the next line would be, where I
can specify the global condition.  In all other cases,

History : The database itself is generated rather, well, generically by
scanning a file where I don't know the nature of the content beyond
simple node relationships (i.e. I don't know ahead of time all values
for "name").  However, I'm thinking that after the flat data storage
portion is taken care of I could go in and maybe write some sort of
generator for myself that would build up the Ruby classes to deal with
the database, and hide the whole thing.
Ab0b702e7fcc79bb7d2c6c67f64e1b4d?d=identicon&s=25 Tim (Guest)
I'm not completely clear on what your trying to accomplish but it
sounds like STI may be what your looking for?

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/singletabl...

Good luck!
Tim

On Jan 28, 3:40 pm, Duane Morin <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
A24e589de07cb769a71f28aead957a48?d=identicon&s=25 Duane Morin (dmorin)
on 2009-01-29 00:55
You know, that might be exactly it.  I knew I'd heard it somewhere
before :).

Thanks!  Sorry for the interruption.