Forum: Ruby on Rails Best practices for develop a web service (server+client)?

04e1b6bf268d6110f4ca25201186f726?d=identicon&s=25 Xdmx Xdmx (xdmx)
on 2009-01-28 20:02
Hi, i've two applications (APP1 and APP2) and i want that APP2 is able
to get data from APP1. I think that a simple rest web service is the way
to go. Do you have some good examples/tutorials? I've googled but i find
only old examples with the deprecated action web service. From the
client, who get the xml, how does reconvert it into ruby/model objects?
4c438a80fc30661ad619ea177cf9cbd0?d=identicon&s=25 Freddy Andersen (Guest)
What about activeResource ?

On Jan 28, 11:02 am, Xdmx Xdmx <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
E1b1706c1794a3732242df21b768cb4b?d=identicon&s=25 Nate Leavitt (nateleavitt)
on 2009-01-28 21:08
Xdmx Xdmx wrote:
> Hi, i've two applications (APP1 and APP2) and i want that APP2 is able
> to get data from APP1. I think that a simple rest web service is the way
> to go. Do you have some good examples/tutorials? I've googled but i find
> only old examples with the deprecated action web service. From the
> client, who get the xml, how does reconvert it into ruby/model objects?

If the apps aren't rails specific, I would suggest to write a simple
rack application.  It's actually pretty useful when interfacing API's
that are non-rails.
04e1b6bf268d6110f4ca25201186f726?d=identicon&s=25 Xdmx Xdmx (xdmx)
on 2009-01-28 23:30
Freddy Andersen wrote:
> What about activeResource ?

You mean activeresource for the rest approach ? for that sure, but you'd
always have the client who request a given url and get some xml to
parse... right?

Which is the better format to give the client between xml and json ?
And how to parse back from xml/json to a an object to include in the db?
Just a simple loop over all the data and a Model.create(......) for
each?

Nate Leavitt wrote:
> If the apps aren't rails specific, I would suggest to write a simple
> rack application.  It's actually pretty useful when interfacing API's
> that are non-rails.

both are rails apps
73b954691f3621e21f8771aeea45cf9f?d=identicon&s=25 Jay Mcgrath (jaybird)
on 2009-01-29 06:11
remotely related ...

Can Rails on Ruby work with an established sqlite3 (or mySQL) database?
the tutorials I have read so far build the sqlite3 tables with the $
"ruby script/generate model ... " command.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the Ruby Rails platform
will be a wise investment of my time to learn and eventually become
proficient if my goal is to build some web applications that interact to
already established databases.

I would prefer to build my database the old fashioned way - e.g., SQL
CREATE statements - and be able to modify the structure on the fly
(structure and data).  The web pages would be a simple GUI interface for
my computer challenged friends! :)
I am hopeful that the Rails on Ruby will allow that flexibility?
Eventually, I suspect that I will be good enough to do it all in Rails
like you all do.

Advice?

thanks in advance
3131fcea0a711e5ad89c8d49cc9253b4?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Leviston (Guest)
Yeah rails is fine to do this stuff in. We use migrations because thy
make structure maintenance easier especially if your app is deployed
in multiple locations (or even just across a deployment an a
development machine)

Sent from my iPhone

On 29/01/2009, at 4:11 PM, Jay Mcgratgh
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net