Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails runtime

Camille R. (Guest)

I've a question about the Rails runtime.
I'd like to know which part of Rails is executed (and put in memory) at
each request? at each server launch?
In other words, is Rails like PHP (the whole code is "executed" at each
request)?

Thanx
Camille R.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 28 Jan 2009, at 16:36, Camille R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've a question about the Rails runtime.
> I'd like to know which part of Rails is executed (and put in memory)
> at
> each request? at each server launch?
> In other words, is Rails like PHP (the whole code is "executed" at
> each
> request)?

All of your app code (and the framework) is loaded when the mongrel,
passenger instance etc. is launched (passenger can do clever things
with fork if you're using REE).

Fred
Mark Reginald J. (Guest)
Camille R. wrote:

> I've a question about the Rails runtime.
> I'd like to know which part of Rails is executed (and put in memory) at
> each request? at each server launch?
> In other words, is Rails like PHP (the whole code is "executed" at each
> request)?

On on start-up in production mode a Rails app will load, execute,
and cache the Rails framework plus certain parts of the app code.
The rest of the app code is loaded and cached on-demand when an
unknown class or module is referenced during a request.

http://railswheels.com