IronRuby with Asp.Net MVC is possible or not...?

Hello…

Hi Phil,

Great News shared.

I am dying to work with IronRuby and Asp.Net MVC since ages, but no good
news are seen nearby.

Can you kindly make it clear for once and all that should i leave all
the hopes to work with IronRuby and Asp.Net MVC or i can still keep on
dreaming with this.

No news are bad news… and thats really frustrating.

Thanks

I also feel the same.

I have just seen this post on web and i though i would repost it here,
since the progress of IronRuby is going dead slow since its announcement
in Mix 2007 and now since Mix 2009 is round the corner, i see no good
news of Version 1.0 and its support with Asp.Net MVC.

I have also seen the same frustration on twitter too.

Can any one come ahead with a final answer for this…?

Thanks

== Short Answer

http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2008/09/aspnet-dynamic-language-support.html

We’ve always been clear on an expected 1.0 date … sometime in 2009. =)
The schedule to 1.0 will be more apparent in the next coming months.
Check out http://ironruby.net, lots of new information about the project
up there, and like I said, more to come.

IronRuby is open-source. ASP.NET MVC source-code is available. If you
want it to work so badly, why not work on it yourself? The source code
for the initial integration is available too, so I don’t see the
problem. We’re a small team, so we can only focus on the language, and
could use the help with these types of integration projects. So, please
help!

== Long Answer

IronRuby has a very small, full-time development team at Microsoft. We
are focusing on the language and libraries, full-time; IronRuby 1.0 is
our priority. Other integration with .NET frameworks is usually from
broader DLR-integration efforts that IronRuby gets for free/minimal
effort, like my work on Silverlight before working on IronRuby.

So, again, we’re the IronRuby team working on the Ruby language. If
you’d like to voice your opinion about integration with ASP.NET MVC, I’m
sure the ASP.NET MVC team would want to hear.

That being said, I’ve been the person on working most closely with the
ASP.NET team, only on my free time, to make steps towards a better DLR
integration with ASP.NET. Cause I care =P And in late September we made
a first step by releasing an updated integration between IronPython and
ASP.NET.
Jimmy Schementi > ASP.NET Dynamic Language Support Refreshed!.
Also, Phil H. and I have been working on an IronRuby MVC integration
GitHub - jschementi/ironrubymvc: Write ASP.NET MVC application in Ruby. Phil was last working on
filters, but we haven’t merged that code back into my github account.
The current state of the repo may be a little wacky, since the sample
app uses ActiveSupport, which loads way too slowly, but it works.

Phil and I are only two people. With other full-time job
responsibilities, and other side projects. If anyone is interested in
seeing ASP.NET (MVC) integration, please feel free to get the available
code and start building upon it. If you want to contribute, we can move
the projects to ironruby-contrib and gladly accept patches.

If no one helps us with this, things will move slow … it will
eventually happen, but slow. So, if you want it so badly, I encourage
you to prove it and help. If you don’t, and the IronRuby team has to do
the work, then 1.0 will be that much further away.

~Jimmy

I definitely want to help with the integration of mvc and IronRuby. But
was also waiting for it to go to 1.0 before actually spending a serious
amount of time on it.

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Jimmy S. <

::nods:: 1.0 doesn’t need to be the magical time to start looking at
things. Especially since you’ve been an “early-adopter” for quite a
while Ivan. =) 1.0 is a good time for MRI code to run on IronRuby
reliably, but depending on .NET interop is doable even now. Sure, there
are some rough edges, but nothing majorly blocking something like
ASP.NET. And it’d be nice to know of any major .NET interop pain-points
earlier than later.

~js

I definitely want to help with the integration of mvc and IronRuby. But
I was also waiting for it to go to 1.0 before actually spending a
serious amount of time on it.
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Jimmy S.
<[email protected]mailto:[email protected]>
wrote:
== Short Answer

http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2008/09/aspnet-dynamic-language-support.html

We’ve always been clear on an expected 1.0 date … sometime in 2009. =)
The schedule to 1.0 will be more apparent in the next coming months.
Check out http://ironruby.nethttp://ironruby.net/, lots of new
information about the project up there, and like I said, more to come.

IronRuby is open-source. ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/ MVC source-code is

ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/ MVC, I’m sure the ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/ MVC
team would want to hear.

That being said, I’ve been the person on working most closely with the
ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/ team, only on my free time, to make steps
towards a better DLR integration with ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/. Cause I
care =P And in late September we made a first step by releasing an
updated integration between IronPython and ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/.

seeing ASP.NEThttp://asp.net/ (MVC) integration, please feel free to
get the available code and start building upon it. If you want to
contribute, we can move the projects to ironruby-contrib and gladly
accept patches.

If no one helps us with this, things will move slow … it will
eventually happen, but slow. So, if you want it so badly, I encourage
you to prove it and help. If you don’t, and the IronRuby team has to do
the work, then 1.0 will be that much further away.

~Jimmy

the hopes to work with IronRuby and Asp.Net MVC or i can still keep on
I have just seen this post on web and i though i would repost it here,

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

Ironruby-core mailing list
[email protected]mailto:[email protected]

I would be fascinated to see some of the sites you are working on at the
moment, Web R… Perhaps this would help in defining the
direction
that IronRuby takes going forward.
Keep up the good work IR team!
Pete