Forum: GNU Radio Write bin to SD card

255c4284c8fae26752bb9ac1e45356c9?d=identicon&s=25 Yabo Li (Guest)

I tried to follow the instructions in "USRP2UserFAQ" to program the SD
card
with the bin files from http://gnuradio.org/releases/usrp2-bin/trunk/.
(txrx.bin and u2_rev3.bin), there is no error message showing up.
However,
when I plug in the SD card into USRP2, and power on, I cannot get normal
led
lights as I usually get with the right SD card. Is there anyway to
verify
that I indeed programmed the SD card, or verify that what I programmed
matches with the bin files? BTW, I am using a 2G SD card. Thanks!

Regards,
Yabo
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 11:15:15PM -0800, Yabo Li wrote:
> Regards,
> Yabo

$ u2_flash_tool --help
Usage: u2_flash_tool: [options] filename

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -w, --write           write FILE to TARGET slot
  -v, --verify          verify FILE against TARGET slot
  -r, --read            read TARGET slot, write to FILE
  -t TARGET, --target=TARGET
                        select TARGET slot from: fpga, s/w [default=s/w]
  --dev=DEV             specify flash device file, e.g., /dev/sdb.  Be
                        careful!
255c4284c8fae26752bb9ac1e45356c9?d=identicon&s=25 Yabo Li (Guest)
Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I tried to verify the bin that I programmed in the SD card using -v
option.
No error message and no success message either. But if I plug in the SD
card
to the USRP2, I still cannot get any LED on. Do you know what could
cause
this problem? Thanks!

Regards,
Yabo
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:42:43PM -0800, Yabo Li wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks very much for your reply.
>
> I tried to verify the bin that I programmed in the SD card using -v option.
> No error message and no success message either.

The Unix/Linux convention is that programs don't print anything if
everything is working OK.  You could check the program exit code if
you care.

> But if I plug in the SD card
> to the USRP2, I still cannot get any LED on. Do you know what could cause
> this problem? Thanks!

Is this an SD card the came from Matt or something you picked up some
place else?  My understanding is that not all brands of them work
(something to do with the required logic levels).  FWIW, Matt's been
shipping "Patriot Memory" brand cards.  The largest size that will
work is 2GB.

Eric
255c4284c8fae26752bb9ac1e45356c9?d=identicon&s=25 Yabo Li (Guest)
Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for answering my questions. I tried a different SD card
(SanDisk), and now only one LED is on (LED F). Do you know what does
this
mean?

Regards,
Yabo
Yabo Li wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks very much for answering my questions. I tried a different SD card
> (SanDisk), and now only one LED is on (LED F). Do you know what does
> this mean?

One LED means that the FPGA was programmed, but not the firmware.
Either you didn't put the firmware on the card, or the card is bad.

Why don't you just use the SD card which came with the USRP?  It is
known to work.

Matt