Forum: Ruby nokogirl on ubuntu: failed to build gem native extension

25ae00f7825b9b6ddc7db1fb7b589f34?d=identicon&s=25 Edouard Dantes (edouard)

I want to give a try to nokogiri with mechanize as it seems to have
encoding methods.

I run ubuntu heron and installed the libraries libxslt1-dev libxml2
libxml2-dev.

now when i run sudo gem install nokogiri i get this error log:

ruby extconf.rb install nokogiri-1.1.1.gem
extconf.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
  from extconf.rb:3

I don't get what's missing here?

thanks for comments.
Aaca034456897ccbc8bb14953c4a41c1?d=identicon&s=25 Radosław Bułat (radarek)
Search and install package named ruby-dev. Notice also that it's
nokogiri (last letter is 'i').

--
Pozdrawiam

Rados³aw Bu³at
http://radarek.jogger.pl - mój blog
Aacec44d38142fc05a355b952487d17f?d=identicon&s=25 Alice Gheorghiu (alice_gheorghiu)
on 2009-05-27 21:52
Radosław Bułat wrote:
> Search and install package named ruby-dev.
Have similar problem and tried to install ruby-dev but it is not in my
system
I am on linux ( CentOS release 5.2 (Final) How do I go about installing
it?
>Notice also that it's
> nokogiri (last letter is 'i').
>

> --
> Pozdrawiam
>
> Rados�aw Bu�at
> http://radarek.jogger.pl - m�j blog
Cd0dbf751457cf6fed1f69070d37006a?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On May 27, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Alice Gheorghiu wrote:

> Radosław Bułat wrote:
>> Search and install package named ruby-dev.
> Have similar problem and tried to install ruby-dev but it is not in my
> system
> I am on linux ( CentOS release 5.2 (Final) How do I go about
> installing
> it?
This should get you started:

http://is.gd/HmzB

Cheers--

Charles
---
Charles Johnson
Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Vanderbilt University
Charles Johnson wrote:
> On May 27, 2009, at 2:52 PM, Alice Gheorghiu wrote:
>
>> Radosław Bułat wrote:
>>> Search and install package named ruby-dev.
>> Have similar problem and tried to install ruby-dev but it is not in my
>> system
>> I am on linux ( CentOS release 5.2 (Final) How do I go about
>> installing
>> it?
> This should get you started:
>
> http://is.gd/HmzB
Tried it and also followed this site http://whomwah.com/tag/howto/ for
my specific OS to no avail. Maybe I need to modify the conf file (I
attached file with execution for review)
Thanks a bunch for all the help -- alice

On May 27, 2009, at 12:52, Alice Gheorghiu wrote:

> Radosław Bułat wrote:
>> Search and install package named ruby-dev.
> Have similar problem and tried to install ruby-dev but it is not in my
> system
> I am on linux ( CentOS release 5.2 (Final) How do I go about
> installing
> it?
>> Notice also that it's
>> nokogiri (last letter is 'i').

Sorry, I lost the original, but there is a nokogirl gem:

$ gem list -r nokogir

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

nokogiri (1.2.3)
nokogirl (1.0)
$ gem dep -r nokogirl
Gem nokogirl-1.0
   nokogiri (>= 0, runtime)
Aacec44d38142fc05a355b952487d17f?d=identicon&s=25 Alice Gheorghiu (alice_gheorghiu)
on 2009-05-29 01:12
Eric Hodel wrote:
> On May 27, 2009, at 12:52, Alice Gheorghiu wrote:
>
>Radosław Bułat wrote:
>Search and install package named ruby-dev.
>Have similar problem and tried to install ruby-dev but it is not in my
>system
>I am on linux ( CentOS release 5.2 (Final) How do I go about
>installingit?
>Notice also that it's nokogiri (last letter is 'i').
>
> Sorry, I lost the original, but there is a nokogirl gem:

> $ gem list -r nokogir
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***

nokogiri (1.2.3)
nokogirl (1.0)
$ gem dep -r nokogirl
Gem nokogirl-1.0
nokogiri (>= 0, runtime)

I tried it too and it's there. What's the point? Should we try to
install nokogirl instead?
On May 28, 2009, at 16:12, Alice Gheorghiu wrote:

>> Notice also that it's nokogiri (last letter is 'i').
> Gem nokogirl-1.0
> nokogiri (>= 0, runtime)
>
> I tried it too and it's there. What's the point? Should we try to
> install nokogirl instead?

IIRC, Mike Dalessio always typed "nokogirl" instead of "nokogiri", so
he released "nokogirl"
Bd6e7860b5a891bff077aeaeb5434e60?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Dalessio (Guest)
2009/5/28 Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>

>> nokogiri (>= 0, runtime)
>>
>> I tried it too and it's there. What's the point? Should we try to
>> install nokogirl instead?
>>

> IIRC, Mike Dalessio always typed "nokogirl" instead of "nokogiri", so he
> released "nokogirl"

Since I was a small boy, I have always wanted to be famous for my poor
typing skills. So, I would love to sit back and let this particular
piece of
urban mythology propagate.

However, nokogirl is just too damn funny to not give credit where it is
due:

   http://judofyr.net/posts/nokogirl.html

Carry on.
Aacec44d38142fc05a355b952487d17f?d=identicon&s=25 Alice Gheorghiu (alice_gheorghiu)
on 2009-05-29 07:48
Mike Dalessio wrote:
> 2009/5/28 Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net>
>

>>> nokogiri (>= 0, runtime)
>>>
>>> I tried it too and it's there. What's the point? Should we try to
>>> install nokogirl instead?
>> IIRC, Mike Dalessio always typed "nokogirl" instead of "nokogiri", so he
>> released "nokogirl"

> Since I was a small boy, I have always wanted to be famous for my poor
> typing skills. So, I would love to sit back and let this particular
> piece of
> urban mythology propagate.

> However, nokogirl is just too damn funny to not give credit where it is
> due:
>
>    http://judofyr.net/posts/nokogirl.html

> Carry on.

LOL -with tears in my eyes! Worked on a wget today, with the help of my
provider and it's a nice solution instead of the mechanize module I was
hoping to install from this nokogiri(l) or whatever. I'll keep trying
for my other data provider and ...Stay tuned!. In the meantime if
there's any ruby expert with a bit of time to review the attachement,
maybe I am missing something.
Aacec44d38142fc05a355b952487d17f?d=identicon&s=25 Alice Gheorghiu (alice_gheorghiu)
on 2009-06-01 23:56
Alice Gheorghiu wrote:
> Mike Dalessio wrote:

>>> IIRC, Mike Dalessio always typed "nokogirl" instead of "nokogiri", so he
>>> released "nokogirl"
>
>> Since I was a small boy, I have always wanted to be famous for my poor
>> typing skills. So, I would love to sit back and let this particular
>> piece of
>> urban mythology propagate.
>
>> However, nokogirl is just too damn funny to not give credit where it is
>> due:
>>
>>    http://judofyr.net/posts/nokogirl.html
>
>> Carry on.
>
> LOL -with tears in my eyes! Worked on a wget today, with the help of my
> provider and it's a nice solution instead of the mechanize module I was
> hoping to install from this nokogiri(l) or whatever. I'll keep trying
> for my other data provider and ...Stay tuned!. In the meantime if
> there's any ruby expert with a bit of time to review the attachement,
> maybe I am missing something.

The issue on my installation was that libxml2 appeared in my /usr/lib64
directory as libxml2.so.2, libxml2.so.2.6.26, and libxml2-2.6.26 so the
configuration file could not determine which one to use. By making a
symbolic link to the latest version libsml2.so.2.6.26 resolved the
problem. Both nokogiri and mechanize were successfully installed
6514bbf3f74391c17c8517c5252e1b92?d=identicon&s=25 Reza Naq (nreza)
on 2011-01-30 00:26
Hi Alice

Could you please tell me WHICH config file you changed or how? I'm
porting a tiny app from Windows to Ubunto and nokogiri port is one of
the problems I've had so far.

Thnaks
Bd6e7860b5a891bff077aeaeb5434e60?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Dalessio (Guest)
Greetings and salutations!

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Reza Naq <reza.naq@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alice
>
> Could you please tell me WHICH config file you changed or how? I'm
> porting a tiny app from Windows to Ubunto and nokogiri port is one of
> the problems I've had so far.

The thread you've posted to is over a year and a half old! That's
ancient.

You may get better responses if you described what your issue is,
attaching
information about your Ubuntu version, libxml2 and libxslt versions, and
the
contents of your mkmf.log file after the failed gem installation.

Hint: you may want to check out
http://nokogiri.org/tutorials/installing_nokogiri.html