Forum: Ruby Testing against an api

9fa40e577cf1512431a82d55302b5d2f?d=identicon&s=25 Brent Collier (brentmc79)
on 2009-01-23 16:40
When testing code that consumes a web service, is it bad for the
tests/specs to actually hit the api, or should the get/post/whatever
requests be stubbed out?

I'm currently writing a Ruby gem for a particular micro-blogging api. My
tests actually make requests against the api and I was just wondering if
maybe I shouldn't be doing that...
5772c599ccab3081e0fffb1d54f3b6de?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Timberlake (andrewtimberlake)
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Brent Collier <brentmc79@gmail.com>
wrote:

Two reasons you shouldn't
1) It slows down your tests which means your run them less often or stop
testing eventually
2) Your calls will be directly affecting the remote service and actually
creating, modifying or deleting things in the process (not usually what
you
want to do while testing)

--
Andrew Timberlake
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Brent Collier wrote:
> When testing code that consumes a web service, is it bad for the
> tests/specs to actually hit the api, or should the get/post/whatever
> requests be stubbed out?

Two reasons it's bad. The first is a simple rule "never hit the wire at
test
time". It annoys the remote server, and exposes your test runs to false
negatives if that server is down (or when it finally blacklists your
development
workstation!).

The other rule is Mike Feathers's guideline for testing: "Test cases
should
never touch the file system, the database, or the wires." That's not a
rule,
it's just a head-game to encourage his disciples to decouple their code
and
improve its isolation and encapsulation. Intermediate logic code should
not have
runaway dependencies on low-level code with side-effects.

> I'm currently writing a Ruby gem for a particular micro-blogging api. My
> tests actually make requests against the api and I was just wondering if
> maybe I shouldn't be doing that...

Run those tests one last time, with p statements that barf out the
low-level

Use Mocha to mock the HTTP::Post activity (or whatever), and copy those
tests
into the .returns(). Then run your tests with your network wire
unplugged (yes,
and take a long uneasy break from twitter, boingboing, apod, chat,
google, RSS,
and this newsgroup!), and make sure all your tests still pass.
B6861bc75bff3c594212338a914a39ad?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Todd (maraby)
Check out fakeweb which can be used to help mock out your web service
calls
easily:
http://technicalpickles.com/posts/stop-net-http-de...

Matt

--
Matt Todd
Highgroove Studios

Scout - Web Monitoring and Reporting Software
www.scoutapp.com