Forum: RSpec testing javascript-heavy websites

57badfb3e8a4e8a81536f7dc6e47b812?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Van Dyk (Guest)
We're starting to work on some javascript-heavy websites, and even
some flash/flex based ones as well.

What's the current hotness in automatically testing those types of
websites?  Does cucumber hook up to selenium now?  I thought I saw
that webrat did.

Any recommended resources?

Joe
C694a032be7518a0d704318895f8fe1d?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Mabey (mabes)
On 1/22/09 7:46 PM, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> We're starting to work on some javascript-heavy websites, and even
> some flash/flex based ones as well.

For flex see:
http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/funfx-and-flex
> What's the current hotness in automatically testing those types of
> websites?  Does cucumber hook up to selenium now?  I thought I saw
> that webrat did.

For JS you can use webrat with Cucumber to drive selenium. See the
webrat docs for more info.
You can use Watir or Celerity with Cucumber.  There is a screencast on
using Cucumber with Watir on cukes.info.

HTH,
Ben
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Joe Van Dyk <joe@pinkpucker.net> wrote:
> We're starting to work on some javascript-heavy websites, and even
> some flash/flex based ones as well.
>
> What's the current hotness in automatically testing those types of
> websites?  Does cucumber hook up to selenium now?  I thought I saw
> that webrat did.
>
> Any recommended resources?

Yes you can use cucumber/webrat/selenium.  I have had some trouble
with ajax-heavy stuff but never took the time to sort it out.

For testing JS directly, I use Screw.Unit

Pat
90e140f8553ecdec1b0d7dbf608a0561?d=identicon&s=25 Pau Cor (phylae)
on 2009-01-23 18:15
> I have had some trouble
> with ajax-heavy stuff but never took the time to sort it out.

I had some trouble too at first. Some things that seem like they
_should_ work just don't. But I seem to have gotten past it. If anyone
has a specific problem post here, and I'll give it a try :)

Or you can email me directly: paul (at) thoughtless --I hate spam--
(dot) ca
57badfb3e8a4e8a81536f7dc6e47b812?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Van Dyk (Guest)
How does http://celerity.rubyforge.org/ compare to the options
mentioned?