Forum: JRuby 64-bit Compatibility

6b42fa9e658a1030498c22d88c84526f?d=identicon&s=25 Jack Boespflug (Guest)
Are there any known issues running JRuby on 64-bit machines?  Currently
looking to develop commercial applications, and customers will deploy
these
on their current web servers, which will vary by company.  Some will
have
64-bit Windows and various flavors of Linux/Unix.
Just wondering if anyone knows of any issues to look out for.

Thanks,
Jack Boespflug
Jack Boespflug wrote:
> Are there any known issues running JRuby on 64-bit machines?  Currently
> looking to develop commercial applications, and customers will deploy
> these on their current web servers, which will vary by company.  Some
> will have 64-bit Windows and various flavors of Linux/Unix.
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows of any issues to look out for.

Nope, should work fine. Several people run it on 64-bit Macs without
issues. The only area we might need to improve it is if we don't have
native library bits on your target platform, but it would mostly just
need a build done there.

- Charlie

I've been running Jruby on a 64-bit Linux system, and haven't had any
issues with it at all. I'll admit that I haven't tried expanding a
single Jruby process out beyond 32 bits of address space, but I've
happily run several of them on a single JVM in a 6GB heap.

Jack Boespflug wrote:
> Are there any known issues running JRuby on 64-bit machines?
>  Currently looking to develop commercial applications, and customers
> will deploy these on their current web servers, which will vary by
> company.  Some will have 64-bit Windows and various flavors of
> Linux/Unix.
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows of any issues to look out for.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack Boespflug

no issues here, solaris 10 x86 64 bit, 4Gb heap

adam
Bfe866459e40cb7392194ab08fcb5dea?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Herrick (mherrick66)
We run TriSano on 64bit Linux without any issues.

Mike

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> issues. The only area we might need to improve it is if we don't have

crash/hang. The system hangs only under the Java6 64-bit vm. I tried
running the same tests under the Java5 64-bit vm and it behaved
normally. The 32-bit vm (for Java5 or Java6) always behaved correctly.

I don't know if this is a jruby bug (doubtful) or a general JVM
problem. The "cure" was to increase the stack size with -Xss but that
can be very wasteful in a multi-threaded environment.

I'll try to do a test against a 64-bit vm under linux to see if I get
the same hang. If I do, then there is something here that needs
investigation. If it runs okay, then the problem is likely attributed
to Apple's VM.

cr

------ pasted -----

Here's a link [1] to the ruby benchmark program I wrote along with the
benchmark results pasted at the bottom. I put the Jackson JSON Java
lib up against the json-jruby library which is a ruby library with
some native Java for use under jruby. All benchmarks were performed on
a Mac Pro with 16GB RAM, dual quad-core 2.8 GHz, on Java6.

cremes$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06-153)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0_07-b06-57, mixed mode)

Interestingly, I needed to boost the stack size (-Xss) to 4m for the
benchmark to complete otherwise the java process would randomly hang.
The hang behaves very similar to an old Sun bug [2] which is perhaps
still open on Apple's JVM.

For those who don't want to click on the pastie, Jackson was about 3
times faster at generating JSON strings and roughly twice as fast at
parsing JSON strings.

cr

[1] http://pastie.org/366126
[2] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6325682

Thanks everyone.
B2625ae7fa60dce7697771ca1ef57444?d=identicon&s=25 Paweł Wielgus (Guest)
Hi All,
i run same apps on solaris 10 x86 64, slack x64, and windows xp 32bit,
no issues.
Heap size these are using is about 8gb on 64bit versions.

Best greetings,
Pawe³ Wielgus.