Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing plugins... is git necessary?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
9ea8229b9b6503cde77171ffcfe2eedc?d=identicon&s=25 Sonny Chee (soroe)
on 2009-01-22 00:55
Hey Guys,

I tried the following on my rails 2.1.1 project:

> script/plugin install acts_as_tree

and I got the following error:

> Plugin not found: ["acts_as_tree"]

This method of installing plugins worked months ago on another rails
2.0+ project....  Do I need to use github now?

Sonny.
059ed46172a087063ce26250e44c8627?d=identicon&s=25 Fernando Perez (fernando)
on 2009-01-22 11:10
Sonny Chee wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I tried the following on my rails 2.1.1 project:
>
>> script/plugin install acts_as_tree
>
> and I got the following error:
>
>> Plugin not found: ["acts_as_tree"]
>
> This method of installing plugins worked months ago on another rails
> 2.0+ project....  Do I need to use github now?
>
> Sonny.

You can go to github, and download the tarball, extract it in your
vendor/plugins folder, then follow instructions if any additional step
is required. Git is not compulsory, but highly recommended.


--
IT video training screencasts in french language: http://www.digiprof.fr
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
on 2009-01-22 15:16
(Received via mailing list)
gem sources -a http://gems.github.com

Cheers, Sazima

On Jan 21, 9:55 pm, Sonny Chee <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
9ea8229b9b6503cde77171ffcfe2eedc?d=identicon&s=25 Sonny Chee (soroe)
on 2009-01-22 17:39
So the "script/plugin install ..." script no longer works without git?

Sonny.

Fernando Perez wrote:
> Sonny Chee wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> I tried the following on my rails 2.1.1 project:
>>
>>> script/plugin install acts_as_tree
>>
>> and I got the following error:
>>
>>> Plugin not found: ["acts_as_tree"]
>>
>> This method of installing plugins worked months ago on another rails
>> 2.0+ project....  Do I need to use github now?
>>
>> Sonny.
>
> You can go to github, and download the tarball, extract it in your
> vendor/plugins folder, then follow instructions if any additional step
> is required. Git is not compulsory, but highly recommended.
>
>
> --
> IT video training screencasts in french language: http://www.digiprof.fr
9ea8229b9b6503cde77171ffcfe2eedc?d=identicon&s=25 Sonny Chee (soroe)
on 2009-01-22 17:42
Thanks Sazima,

I added github as a source but I'm still getting the

> Plugin not found: ["acts_as_tree"]

Sonny.

Sazima wrote:
> gem sources -a http://gems.github.com
>
> Cheers, Sazima
>
> On Jan 21, 9:55�pm, Sonny Chee <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
Fff557ffbe33c6aab8aa17e1489fdaea?d=identicon&s=25 Harry Seldon (harry_seldon)
on 2009-01-23 00:12
I wrote recently an article about Rails, Git and plugin management. It
might be of interest to you:
http://harryseldon.thinkosphere.com/2009/01/14/git...
H

Sonny Chee wrote:
> Thanks Sazima,
>
> I added github as a source but I'm still getting the
>
>> Plugin not found: ["acts_as_tree"]
>
> Sonny.
>
> Sazima wrote:
>> gem sources -a http://gems.github.com
>>
>> Cheers, Sazima
>>
>> On Jan 21, 9:55�pm, Sonny Chee <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
192e440ff64621f28b0a848a5fba5d37?d=identicon&s=25 Robsteranium (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 12:52
(Received via mailing list)
Fernando's instructions worked for me.  Seems a bit tedious though -
working cli install would surely better?
I tried following Sazima's instructions.  Couldn't find the plug-in
even with the git sources.

On Jan 22, 11:12 pm, Harry Seldon <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.