Forum: GNU Radio Re: USB2 problems with Fedora/USRP

83cfe44af85b7477257ed37b0037e2d4?d=identicon&s=25 Alberto Trentadue (Guest)
> Hello
>
> I've finally assembled the USRP few days ago, after being delayed some months.
>
> The power-on behaviour
looks as expected: one led blinks at 3 Hz or so.
> The next step is to try out some example, e.g. usrp_benchmark_usb.py
or usrp_wfm_rcv.py.
> Whatever the test I try, I can see that blinking led is switched of for a couple
seconds, then it
blinks at lower
> rate, and another led near to it turns on  (don't remember which is D402 and D403).
>
> On console,
i get this kind of error:

> usb_control_msg failed: error sending control message: Connection timed out
> usrp:
failed to load fpga bitstream
/opt/gnuradio/share/usrp/rev4/std_2rxhb_2tx.rbf
> Traceback (most recent call last):

>     File "./usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 106, in ?
>         main ( )
>     File "./usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 96,
in main
>         ok=run_test (rate, verbose)
>     File "./usrp_benchmark_usb.py", line 63, in run_test

usrp_tx=usrp.sink_s(0, tx_interp)
>     File "/usr/local/hamradio/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp.
py", line 230, in __init__
>         fpga_filename, firmware_filename)
>     File
"/usr/local/hamradio/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gnuradio/usrp1.py",
line 940, in  sink_s
>         return
_usrp1.sink_s(*args)
> RuntimeError: can't open usrp1
>
> I'm using the latest svn checked-out source code.
>
> I'm
almost convinced that the problem is in the USB2 driver used by gnuradio
to control the USRP (ehci-hcd?).
> I have 2
questions:
> 1. What do you suggest to use to investigate and troubleshoot such USB2 problem on
Fedora 9?
> 2. What
does the second led turning on mean?

==== On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 13:57 -0800, Johnathan
Corgan wrote:
>In my experience, a successful FX2 load followed by a failed FPGA load
> is often due to poor USB
physical integrity, such as a cable, connector,
> or hub.  I know it sounds formulaic, but for whatever reason, I've

encountered this with the USRP on multiple occasions, where replacing
> the cable with a different one, ensuring that
has the 2.0 compliance
> logo on it, fixes it.  YMMV, of course.
>
> (Even more often it is due to not having a 2.0
controller, but you've
> ruled that out already.)
>
> -Johnathan

Hello

Well, well, Johnathan, you were right.
found a solution to the problem - not yet an explanation, which requires
a USB guru to explain (anybody out there...?)

I actually plugged the USB cable to an external hub, which is not even
powered (and not even top-branded...) and the
problem does not show anymore.
Note that, after your suggestion, I have tried all four USB2 sockets
available on the
laptop and *none* worked.
Thus, in this instance, it seems that introducing a hub layer in the
path solves the problem.

Thanks again for help
Alberto.

Attiva Tiscali Voce 8 Mega: telefoni e navighi senza limiti a soli €10
AL MESE FINO AL 30 GIUGNO 2009. Dopo paghi €29,90 al mese. Attiva entro
il 22/01/09! http://abbonati.tiscali.it/promo/voce8mega/