Forum: Ruby on Rails Determine modification time of remote (http) file

96146b7a23174e2e024c06a49f845bb8?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey L. Taylor (Guest)
Is there way to determine the last modification time of a file via HTTP?
Specifically, I'd like to not download or parse a very large RSS file
(300+
items) if it hasn't changed.

TIA,
  Jeffrey
6bf9328eef0afadd9c9d05334f8dd42b?d=identicon&s=25 Hubert Lepicki (hubertlepicki)

there is 304 HTTP response code that says "not modified". However,
you'll not be able to use it unless RSS file provider is actually
serving this response to you. I know apache for static files does just
that, but if on the other end is application that doesn't provide
caching for RSS feeds (sic!) you're toast.

H.
Quoting Hubert Łępicki <hubert.lepicki@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> there is 304 HTTP response code that says "not modified". However,
> you'll not be able to use it unless RSS file provider is actually
> serving this response to you. I know apache for static files does just
> that, but if on the other end is application that doesn't provide
> caching for RSS feeds (sic!) you're toast.

Thank you.  I tried using the -N flag of wget on the largest feed and it
doesn't appear to support the last_modified meta tag (or whatever it's
called,
I'm still learning).  I may eventually implement the feature, but it
won't
help with the immediate problem.

Thanks,
  Jeffrey