Forum: Ruby on Rails Remote browser screen capture with Rials?

44391f94143d129bdfdcd8b52aa51674?d=identicon&s=25 Schalk Neethling (Guest)
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a solution that will work with Rails that can
capture remote screen shots of website a.k.a Magnolia, DZone etc?

Thanks,
Schalk
Schalk Neethling wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Does anyone know of a solution that will work with Rails that can
> capture remote screen shots of website a.k.a Magnolia, DZone etc?

I would use Curl, Wget, Rio, or Net::HTTP to pull in the page (and its
dependencies), then I would Google for "html to thumbnail", find a shell
command
that works, and shell to it. A good thumbnailer will let you set the
dimensions
to very large, for a screen shot not a thumbnail.

May I ask if you are acceptance testing that target website?
44391f94143d129bdfdcd8b52aa51674?d=identicon&s=25 Schalk Neethling (Guest)
Hi there Philip,

Thanks for the info. These looks promising:
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby/GtkMozEmbed
http://mirko.lilik.it/Ruby-GNOME2/moz-snapshooter.rb

Regarding acceptance testing, so you mean the websites that I want to
capture or the website doing the capturing?

Thanks,
Schalk
Schalk Neethling wrote:
> Hi there Philip,
>
> Thanks for the info. These looks promising:
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby/GtkMozEmbed
> http://mirko.lilik.it/Ruby-GNOME2/moz-snapshooter.rb

Does Moz imply they invoke the Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox web browser?
Ain't that
too heavy?
44391f94143d129bdfdcd8b52aa51674?d=identicon&s=25 Schalk Neethling (Guest)
Hi Philip,

I am guessing it must be the mozilla engine. I saw another one that uses
webkit but it seems that the server needs to run the Mac OS.

Regards,
Schalk
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
Schalk,

The guys from Pagestacker.com did just that. Talk to them, they are
very friendly...

Cheers, Sazima