Forum: RSpec OT: Who To Ask About Screw.Unit?

Ef0db53920b243d6758c2f6b1306df0d?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Ross (cwd)
I've been using Screw.Unit for some js testing and like the similarity
to rSpec, but information is pretty scarce on the Web. What I'm trying
to sort out is how to spec a jQuery click handler that submits a form
(basically emulates Rails' link_to ... :method => :post). Any pointers
to MLs, groups, ???.

Thanks,

Steve
314c6f48cee7a540473e6ff0178a78eb?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Gaffney (Guest)
s.ross's email about Screw.Unit brought prompted me to ask this
question:

1) What do you use for Javascript Unit testing?
2) How do you integrate it with a continuous build such as CCRB? (I'm
guessing selenium).

-Mike
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 6:39 PM, s.ross <cwdinfo@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using Screw.Unit for some js testing and like the similarity to
> rSpec, but information is pretty scarce on the Web. What I'm trying to sort
> out is how to spec a jQuery click handler that submits a form (basically
> emulates Rails' link_to ... :method => :post). Any pointers to MLs, groups,
> ???.

I'd go to the github repo and send the author a message:

http://github.com/nathansobo/screw-unit/tree/master
On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:24 AM, Mike Gaffney wrote:

> s.ross's email about Screw.Unit brought prompted me to ask this
> question:
>
> 1) What do you use for Javascript Unit testing?

I've tried jsspec and Screw.Unit and so far I'm thinking Screw.Unit is
better suited to what I'm doing. It has nested describes, etc.

> 2) How do you integrate it with a continuous build such as CCRB?
> (I'm guessing selenium).

It would be selenium using screw-unit-server, but I'm not there yet.
My project is behind the curve on JS testing.
369b9fd2a0d9e7cdbc60907a2a056ad9?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Taylor (Guest)
s.ross wrote:
>> 2) How do you integrate it with a continuous build such as CCRB? (I'm
>> guessing selenium).
>
> It would be selenium using screw-unit-server, but I'm not there yet.
> My project is behind the curve on JS testing.

Might want to check out this project:

http://github.com/nakajima/screw-driver/tree/master

Don't know how far along it is.   I haven't played with it yet.

Scott
On 16 Jan 2009, at 06:58, Scott Taylor wrote:

> Don't know how far along it is.   I haven't played with it yet.
>
> Scott

It's worth mentioning this spike I did a while back, using Celerity to
drive the tests. It runs really quickly, but I'm not yet convinced
about the reliability of celerity:

http://gist.github.com/15273

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
314c6f48cee7a540473e6ff0178a78eb?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Gaffney (Guest)
We're trying to get one of them up at work and we're currently adding
selenium grid support to webrat. I was thinking of building a glue
plugin on one of these frameworks so that they would just run as a
webrat test via a rake task. Would anyone be interested in somthing like
that if we pluginified it?

My problem with the solutions I've seen so far for integrating is that
they don't work with a build because the assume you are launching the
browser on the build machine. Grid support removes that requirement /
dependency and allows us to run on any grid supported browser. It's
actually a very nice setup for build machines once you get it working.

-Mike
On 16 Jan 2009, at 15:04, Mike Gaffney wrote:

> We're trying to get one of them up at work and we're currently
> adding selenium grid support to webrat. I was thinking of building a
> glue plugin on one of these frameworks so that they would just run
> as a webrat test via a rake task. Would anyone be interested in
> somthing like that if we pluginified it?

Definitely.

> My problem with the solutions I've seen so far for integrating is
> that they don't work with a build because the assume you are
> launching the browser on the build machine. Grid support removes
> that requirement / dependency and allows us to run on any grid
> supported browser. It's actually a very nice setup for build
> machines once you get it working.

Ditto, plus I also would like a fast and unobtrusive TDD cycle when
developing, and I don't feel like selenium is likely to give me that.

If we had a grid set up, would I be able to delegate TDD runs to the
grid from my development machine?

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com