Forum: Ruby Quizmaster Retiring: Revenge of the Sith

A61ecce13ed142622f24a5ca3a123922?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Moss (Guest)
Sorry for the dorky subject line...

A bit over a year ago, mid-November of 2007, James Gray announced he
was retiring as the Ruby Quiz master. He had run the quiz for nearly
three years, a wonderful achievement enjoyed by many Rubyists here.

Almost a year ago, mid-February of 2008, I began an attempt to follow
in his footsteps. Sad to say, though, I only lasted about 10 months.
As of now, I need to retire from running the Ruby Quiz.

When I started, I had made some changes in my personal life (incl.
quitting my job) that allowed me the time to write up quizzes and
summaries every week. However, nearly a year later, my personal
circumstances have changed again, and I will be unable to dedicate the
time necessary to run further Ruby Quizzes. Some of this has already
manifested by way of skipped weeks and late quizzes/submissions.

Hopefully, I've done reasonably well following James' incredible
effort. I also hope that, perhaps, there will be another quizmaster to
take up from where I left off. I certainly hope so; I may not be able
to run the quiz any longer, but I'd still love to participate in some
of the lighter quizzes to follow.

Apologies to everyone that I must step down, but also many thanks to
everyone for participating and making RQ2 very enjoyable.

-- Matthew Moss

P.S. For those who would consider taking the reigns, I can provide the
Ruby scripts (cgi, not Rails) used to run the current site at
<http://splatbang.com/rubyquiz/
 >. As for hosting, I am open to several possibilities.
Be30361bb0b0c495e3077db43ad84b56?d=identicon&s=25 Aaron Patterson (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 08:37:31AM +0900, Matthew Moss wrote:
> Sorry for the dorky subject line...
>
> A bit over a year ago, mid-November of 2007, James Gray announced he was
> retiring as the Ruby Quiz master. He had run the quiz for nearly three
> years, a wonderful achievement enjoyed by many Rubyists here.
>
> Almost a year ago, mid-February of 2008, I began an attempt to follow in
> his footsteps. Sad to say, though, I only lasted about 10 months. As of
> now, I need to retire from running the Ruby Quiz.

I wish I had time to take over, but I want to say that I appreciate your
effort!  I hope someone will pick this up because I like reading the
Ruby Quiz!
On Jan 14, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Matthew Moss wrote:

> Hopefully, I've done reasonably well following James' incredible
> effort.

I think you did a great job.  I know how hard it is!  Thanks for the
great sacrifices.

James Edward Gray II
E088bb5c80fd3c4fd02c2020cdacbaf0?d=identicon&s=25 Jesús Gabriel y Galán (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Matthew Moss <matt@moss.name> wrote:

> Almost a year ago, mid-February of 2008, I began an attempt to follow in his
> footsteps. Sad to say, though, I only lasted about 10 months. As of now, I
> need to retire from running the Ruby Quiz.

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for running the quiz, you did a great job !!
I've always enjoyed the quiz even though most of the time I didn't
have enough time to work on a solution (two little kids take too much
of my free time). When I did have the time I enjoyed it a lot. I hope
somebody will take over so we can give continuity to this great asset
of the Ruby community. Unfortunately I don't have the time or
knoweldge to run this kind of thing...

So again thanks for running the quiz.

Jesus.
F6a834b9e424a1e5b199db450462b6cd?d=identicon&s=25 Ron Fox (Guest)
How about a 'quiz' group with a group leader rather than a single
quizmaster.  Suppose there are n people in the group.  Each person
then is responsible for at least a quiz every n weeks (if you want to
continue weekly).   The group leader maintains any pool of additional
quizzes that come in for lean weeks where a quiz might be missing, and
determines which quiz from the group gets shoved out each week.. or
even go to monthly quizzes?

Seems a more sustainable/scalable approach.

Ron.
On Jan 15, 2009, at 4:49 AM, Ron Fox wrote:

> How about a 'quiz' group with a group leader rather than a single
> quizmaster.  Suppose there are n people in the group.  Each person
> then is responsible for at least a quiz every n weeks (if you want
> to continue weekly).   The group leader maintains any pool of
> additional quizzes that come in for lean weeks where a quiz might be
> missing, and determines which quiz from the group gets shoved out
> each week.. or even go to monthly quizzes?
>
> Seems a more sustainable/scalable approach.

My personal experience with groups on the Internet is that they
generally don't work for a situation such as this. It takes a certain
amount of hard work and dedication to keep things going; the usual
result is one or two people doing most of the work anyway, but also
spending time badgering or attempting to motivate the others with
little success. It is often difficult enough to find one dedicated
person... but finding a group of them?

That said, I am certainly not against a group of people contributing
to Ruby Quiz, but really... as I will not be running it anymore, that
would be left to the quizmaster (i.e. "group leader") who follows me.
If he can find a group of N people who each regularly contribute a
quiz every N-th week, more power to him and them. But you still need
someone -- a group leader, as you say -- to manage the whole.

Likewise, it may be an easier task to do quizzes only monthly, or
every other week. I certainly have skipped weeks when I was behind
schedule or overburdened. Again, that's a detail that my successor(s)
can set either as the rule or the exception.
64a808c19ac542b14c4021dcb9484a37?d=identicon&s=25 Ruby Student (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:49 AM, Ron Fox <fox@nscl.msu.edu> wrote:

> Ron.
>> Almost a year ago, mid-February of 2008, I began an attempt to follow  in
>> Hopefully, I've done reasonably well following James' incredible  effort.
>>
> NSCL
> Michigan State University
> East Lansing, MI 48824-1321
>
> Although I am just a Ruby Apprentice, I like the idea of a "quiz group". I
can also give it a try if no volunteer is found, to run the weekly quiz.
As
long as I am not expected to solve the quiz myself (remember, I am a
light
weight Ruby learner) I would be happy to feel the vacuum until someone
more
experience takes it over.
Regards,
64a808c19ac542b14c4021dcb9484a37?d=identicon&s=25 Ruby Student (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Ruby Student
<ruby.student@gmail.com>wrote:

>> quizzes?
>>> A bit over a year ago, mid-November of 2007, James Gray announced he  was
>>>  circumstances have changed again, and I will be unable to dedicate the
>>>  everyone for participating and making RQ2 very enjoyable.
>>>
> weight Ruby learner) I would be happy to feel the vacuum until someone more
> experience takes it over.
> Regards,
> --
> Ruby Student

I also think that more people would get involve if the quiz is given
once
and no more than twice/month.
2922715cbee99df9b47619992cf5c9ae?d=identicon&s=25 James Koppel (Guest)
I haven't done Ruby Quiz in a while, but when I did, a big draw for me
was making it an important part of my week. If you made it once or twice
a month, all that would accomplish is that no-one would form a "Ruby
Quiz habit" as I did.

________________________________
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Ruby Student
<ruby.student@gmail.com>wrote:

>> quizzes?
>>> A bit over a year ago, mid-November of 2007, James Gray announced he  was
>>>  circumstances have changed again, and I will be unable to dedicate the
>>>  everyone for participating and making RQ2 very enjoyable.
>>>
> weight Ruby learner) I would be happy to feel the vacuum until someone more
> experience takes it over.
> Regards,
> --
> Ruby Student

I also think that more people would get involve if the quiz is given
once
and no more than twice/month.
9b905791cbdbb1af35b65e02c3217e23?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Link (Guest)
> Likewise, it may be an easier task to do quizzes only monthly, or
> every other week.

I personally think a group of quiz masters would necessarily result in
a greater variation of "quizzes" which would probably make more people
interested in solving the quiz. IMHO a weekly quiz would be better
suited to maintain a general interest. This would probably be easier
to achieve for a group (2+) of quiz masters. You're right though that
such a group would still need somebody who carries the one ring to
bind then all. :-)

Many thanks for your time and effort you put into the ruby quiz. I
always found it quite interesting to follow the discussion & read the
summary.
8a7a74182e801b31248d51cf8d94f2d5?d=identicon&s=25 rick_2047 (Guest)
Ok of all the people who are commenting i am perhaps the least
qualified coz i never solved one on my own, but i think this is the
best time to tell people what has been on my mind for a very long
time. But first let me make it clear that i am in no state right now
to take voluteering for what i am suggesting.

I do not know the particular history & culture of quizzes (i say
quizzes because i know about python and perl quiz) but i find it very
common that most of them are like for the stack of people just above
the intermediate level(correct me if its wrong). Nobody seems to be
bothered about those learners just who have just understood the
syntax, conventions and philosophy of ruby. While the quizzes are
great they are of little value for such people (who actually are the
most in need). I always maintained that the best way to learn the
solution is to actually solve the problem. Now i propose that apart
from the regular quiz section we have, we also start a beginner quiz.
You know like quizzes intended for people who are just learning tho
ropes.

I know many of you think that it would be unlikely (specially now that
we lack a proper quiz master altogether) to have something like this.
But think about all those beginners who are left gasping for breath
when they read the first quiz.
On Jan 15, 2009, at 10:31 AM, rick_2047 wrote:

> You know like quizzes intended for people who are just learning tho
> ropes.

Perl's Quiz of the Week (which I modeled Ruby Quiz off of) had two
quizzes each week for a while.  One was a beginner quiz and the other
was an expert.

My approach for the quiz was just to try to have quizzes that ranged
the gamut.  We were probably more top heavy than I intended, but we
definitely had a few beginner problems.  I've used those same problems
in teaching beginners anyway.

What I think would have helped is a way for people to rate quiz
difficulty.  As it stands now, you pretty much need to comb the sight
and look for the quizzes with a lot of solutions.  Those are generally
the easy problems.  But that process is less than ideal.

James Edward Gray II
26a81e5badb9e002ab9ed3542036e584?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Libby (Guest)
Thank you to both James and Matthew for doing the Quiz.

I think I can count the number of quizzes I solved on one hand, but
they were some of the most fun I've had programming.

 -Michael
2922715cbee99df9b47619992cf5c9ae?d=identicon&s=25 James Koppel (Guest)
I've actually done little Ruby outside of simple text-parsing scripts,
Project Euler, and Ruby Quiz (I wrote 300-line data mining program for a
charity and a not-quite-finished Lisp interpreter for fun), but I
nevertheless consider myself a proficient Rubyist thanks to Ruby Quiz
alone. I started by trying a couple of the older quizzes, then later saw
that the then-current quiz, #118, was easily within my reach, and then
continued from there, and found my skills quickly rising over the next
dozen. I really like the Ruby Quiz format for learning programming --
they make it easy to learn a wide variety of skills. If I were working
on my own, I'd probably develop a comfort zone in a single area, and
rarely venture out of it; RubyQuiz brings diverse areas to me. Even if
you're motivated to try to tackle a new area and you still can't solve
it, the summaries do a great job of bringing expert-level code down to
beginner level.

Probably the most important part is the comparison; it motivates me to
read other people's solutions and contrast them with mine, which was
great for introducing me to a variety of libraries and styles.

In summary, the solution for beginners isn't for Ruby Quiz to come down
to you. Ruby Quiz already provides what's needed for you to rise up to
Ruby Quiz's level.

________________________________
[...]

Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:07 AM, Matthew Moss <matt@moss.name> wrote:
> Sorry for the dorky subject line...
>
> A bit over a year ago, mid-November of 2007, James Gray announced he was
> retiring as the Ruby Quiz master. He had run the quiz for nearly three
> years, a wonderful achievement enjoyed by many Rubyists here.
>
> Almost a year ago, mid-February of 2008, I began an attempt to follow in his
> footsteps. Sad to say, though, I only lasted about 10 months. As of now, I
> need to retire from running the Ruby Quiz.

Thanks for a great job :)

martin
Sorry Matthew if I let some of our private discussions out here but I
believe it is the best for the group :).
Anyway
You did a tremendous job. (And who could argue with James on this
matter anyway!)

But it is interesting to note that we had quite some discussions and I
really did favor the group approach. However your determination and
the slow progress of the group approach made it clear to the others
that it would be you, and it was really just fine like that.

That said I really would like the group approach to happen. In the
meantime I might come up with one or two quiz ideas I was brooding
about, maybe not for tomorrow but who knows.

The first resumes would be temprorarily on my blog before we can come
up with something more suitable.
Maybe we could simply start a Rubyforge project RubyQuiz3, "Standing
at the shoulders of Giants" :)))

Tom do you read us here? (or whoever is responsible )
All opinions welcome of course.

Cheers
Robert
update:
Sorry folks it's 3am and I should probably go to bed...
What about relaunching one or two of the old Ruby Quizzes that might
have considerable different solutions in Ruby1.9. That might fill the
gap for one or two weeks.

James, Matthew would that be fine with you? Any ideas, maybe Ara's
metakoans, they were just crying for block parameters in blocks IIRC.

Good night for now.
R.
On Jan 15, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Robert Dober wrote:

> James, Matthew would that be fine with you?

Use away.  I support any idea that keeps the Ruby Quiz alive.  :)

James Edward Gray II
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com>
wrote:
> update:
> Sorry folks it's 3am and I should probably go to bed...
> What about relaunching one or two of the old Ruby Quizzes that might
> have considerable different solutions in Ruby1.9. That might fill the
> gap for one or two weeks.
>
> James, Matthew would that be fine with you? Any ideas, maybe Ara's
> metakoans, they were just crying for block parameters in blocks IIRC.

I don't have the time to actually *run* a quiz, but if someone wants
quiz problems I can happily supply them.

martin
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Martin DeMello
<martindemello@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't have the time to actually *run* a quiz, but if someone wants
> quiz problems I can happily supply them.

And I would happily receive them :)
Cheers
R.
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Ron Fox <fox@nscl.msu.edu> wrote:
> How about a 'quiz' group with a group leader rather than a single
> quizmaster.  Suppose there are n people in the group.  Each person then is
> responsible for at least a quiz every n weeks (if you want to continue
> weekly).   The group leader maintains any pool of additional quizzes that
> come in for lean weeks where a quiz might be missing, and determines which
> quiz from the group gets shoved out each week.. or even go to monthly
> quizzes?
I'd love that approach and I really would like to be a member rather
than the leader.
However I love Ruby Quiz too much to leave the leader job vacant for
long.
Pleeease volunteer somebody, until than I can try to keep the idea
alive. I have asked for a Rubyforge project *now*. That means that I
will pass over the maintainer role to any volunteers as soon as the
project is approved.

*** This shall not discourage other approaches to Ruby Quiz, I just
felt that action was necessary to keep RQ alive ***
Cheers
Robert
E8a419959139f3f505b49bb95f7e7afe?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Ballanco (jballanc)
Well, I never did get into the sort of quiz habit that I always wanted
to develop, but I did enjoy reading the submissions and summaries.
Thank you both James and Matt!

As for the future of the Ruby quiz, what about a rotating quizmaster?
I've never done this with a programming quiz, but it's worked in other
weekly/periodic challenge situations I've been involved in before. The
idea would be that a quiz would go out along with some criteria: least
lines of code, quickest runtime, smallest memory footprint, best use
of blocks, etc. Then, when the submission come in, the participants
vote on who "won" the quiz, and that person then becomes the quiz
master for the next week.

Assuming we all have GitHub accounts, we could even start a public
project with quiz descriptions, solution validation tests, best and
runner-up solutions, summaries and whatnot. Then, each new week's
quizmaster could fork the project and add the new quiz.

I wish I had more time to help with this myself (maybe in 6-8 months I
could), but I thought I'd throw the idea out there and see what people
think...

Cheers,

Josh
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Joshua Ballanco <jballanc@gmail.com>
wrote:
> quiz, and that person then becomes the quiz master for the next week.
Well I believe that Ruby quizzes should be fun and not a competition,
and for I know up to know most people seem to agree with this. Speak
up the others thoug.
But if you like competitive quizzes than a RQTeam should surely have
some place for them too, maybe more people like that than some of us
think?

I also like James' idea of having different quizzes, for that we need
a team of course.

I was also wondering if a facebook group (secret to avoid spoilers)
would be a good working tool for a RQTeam.
I have created such a group and will gladly invite whoever is
interested. Just drop a mail or a message on Facebook.

And as for the Ruby Forge project I am looking for a leader ....

Cheers
Robert
A61ecce13ed142622f24a5ca3a123922?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Moss (Guest)
> But it is interesting to note that we had quite some discussions and I
> really did favor the group approach. However your determination and
> the slow progress of the group approach made it clear to the others
> that it would be you, and it was really just fine like that.

And this is why I am asking for a new quizmaster now.

There needs to be someone who will drive the project; otherwise,
little gets done. When you have a motivated leader, only then can you
determine how any sort of group dynamic will function.
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Matthew Moss <matt@moss.name> wrote:
>> But it is interesting to note that we had quite some discussions and I
>> really did favor the group approach. However your determination and
>> the slow progress of the group approach made it clear to the others
>> that it would be you, and it was really just fine like that.
>
> And this is why I am asking for a new quizmaster now.
And this is why I put myself into the queue, but at the end of the
queue.

> There needs to be someone who will drive the project; otherwise, little gets
> done. When you have a motivated leader, only then can you determine how any
> sort of group dynamic will function.
I am willing to drive the project.
But I will favor the team approach. The less the "leader" is seen the
better. But I agree that there shall be a Primus Inter Pares who can
break ties if really necessary
As such the leader has a bad role. Assure the quiz if the team effort
does not suffice and break ties if needed.
Right now, as I am looking for a job, I have some time to do that...

Anyway good luck to you Matthew.

Cheers
Robert
33117162fff8a9cf50544a604f60c045?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel X Moore (yahivin)
Hello Everyone,
  I submit my bid to be considered for the position of Quizmaster to
the Tribunal.

  I am not opposed to a group effort, the more people available to
suggest quizzes and create summaries will enable more diverse
perspectives; but ultimately there needs to be determined leadership
to take responsibility for coordinating and producing the final
result. In any case, I look forward to being involved in the next
incarnation of Ruby Quiz.

My Qualifications:
  Teamwork: I listen to different perspectives and aim to meet the
needs of all parties.
  Persistence: Last year I ate pizza once a day for 234 days in a row.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pNTecYy2-3N...
  Leadership: No matter whether a group or an individual is
responsible for Ruby Quiz there needs to be strong leadership. I am
able and willing to commit my time every week to keeping the quality
of Ruby Quiz as high as it has been, which is not a trivial task.

Thank you to Matthew and James for all the work they have done to make
Ruby Quiz great.
On Jan 16, 2009, at 1:12 PM, Daniel Moore wrote:
>  I submit my bid to be considered for the position of Quizmaster to
> the Tribunal.

Daniel Moore contacted me almost immediately after my initial posting
showing his interest in continuing the Ruby Quiz. After a bit of
discussion, I've decided to pass the reins to Daniel. Thank you!

>  I am not opposed to a group effort, the more people available to
> suggest quizzes and create summaries will enable more diverse
> perspectives; but ultimately there needs to be determined leadership
> to take responsibility for coordinating and producing the final
> result. In any case, I look forward to being involved in the next
> incarnation of Ruby Quiz.

Additionally, Robert Dobert has shown substantial energy towards a
group effort. Daniel, while yours is the final authority, I would
suggest working closely with Robert, towards any group efforts,
however it seems right to you.

>  Persistence: Last year I ate pizza once a day for 234 days in a row.
> http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pNTecYy2-3N...

Hmm... Sausage pesto pizza? I'm so there...

> I am able and willing to commit my time every week to keeping the
> quality of Ruby Quiz as high as it has been, which is not a trivial
> task.

Daniel and Robert, I look forward to seeing the fruit of your efforts.
Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need advice.
Matthew I really appreciated your input. I have however already
decided to run a Ruby Quiz 3 project.

The purpose of this project is to keep Ruby Quiz alive and as a team
effort if possible. Daniel you are welcome to join. If you want to run
a Ruby Quiz of your own please let me know, I will try not to step on
your feet. E.g. not have a quiz the same week as you or a beginner
quiz if you have an advanced one and vs. versa. Maybe some short
midweek quizzes might be in order too.

http://rubyquiz3.rubyforge.org/

And I am looking forward to having lot's of members soon :)

Cheers
Robert
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Matthew I really appreciated your input. I have however already
> decided to run a Ruby Quiz 3 project.

<sighs>

Please don't splinter this effort.  Matthew named Daniel as his
replacement, and so his project should be called Ruby Quiz 3, if he so
wishes.  If the two of you want to join together, great.  But you just
did a 180 turn from being a 'reluctant leader', didn't you? :)

-greg
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Gregory Brown
<gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> did a 180 turn from being a 'reluctant leader', didn't you? :)
I will step back from my project if somebody wants to lead it, but in
a team effort. Meaning all members should have their quizzes. Daniel
could have done this but he believes in a different philosophy. Right
or did I miss-understand?  Should I give up my philosophy because of
that?, I do not think so.

However I am aware of a potential confusion, I hurried to register the
Rubyforge project because I had the impression that Rubyquiz2 was over
already. I did not mean to monopolize the name "Ruby Quiz" but I did,
sorry.

Well I guess we really have to coordinate that somehow. Daniel do you
want to share / take over the Rubyforge space? I could register a
different project  e.g. "Ziuq Ybur Esrever"

Cheers
Robert
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> wishes.
>>If the two of you want to join together, great.  But you just
>> did a 180 turn from being a 'reluctant leader', didn't you? :)
> I will step back from my project if somebody wants to lead it, but in
> a team effort. Meaning all members should have their quizzes. Daniel
> could have done this but he believes in a different philosophy. Right
> or did I miss-understand?  Should I give up my philosophy because of
> that?, I do not think so.

Not necessarily, but you should keep in mind that what Daniel
suggested is how Ruby Quiz 1 and 2 ran:

" I am not opposed to a group effort, the more people available to
suggest quizzes and create summaries will enable more diverse
perspectives; but ultimately there needs to be determined leadership
to take responsibility for coordinating and producing the final
result. In any case, I look forward to being involved in the next
incarnation of Ruby Quiz."

Whereas your idea is different.   Different isn't bad, I just think
that the person selected by the incumbent RubyQuiz master with the
plan to continue with the same strategy is the one that should
continue to use the title "Ruby Quiz".
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Gregory Brown
<gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
For what concerns the Ruby Quiz 1 and 2 were a one man show, just look
at my quote please ;).
<snip>
We had some private mails I will not disclose of course, but again, if
I misunderstood Daniel just has to say one word.
Gimme admin rights (ok these are three, close 'nuff).

Forgive me for being blunt but maybe it is also time to relax a little
and let us figure it out...

R.
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Robert Dober <robert.dober@gmail.com>
wrote:
> and let us figure it out...
You completely missed the point.  If you fork a project, you should
change its name, unless the original developers on a project support
you re-using their name.   I think the same thing applies here.
Creating a project called Ruby Quiz 3 on RubyForge without the
approval of the existing Ruby Quiz master is about the same as me
calling myself "Robert Dober II".   I didn't argue that you shouldn't
create a different type of quiz.  I just suggested that you shouldn't
have taken the name without the existing maintainer (or at least the
community) backing you.  Unless of course, you're intentionally trying
to create a schism.

Sincerely,
- Robert Dober II
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Gregory Brown
<gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
You were right I did not get that :(.

But I explained that it was an error of my part. And I will rename my
project, I told so too, no?
OTOH it would be stupid to cause some more work to Tom, to whom I
apologize hereby, if Daniel will take over the infrastructure. Do you
read Daniel?

That was what I meant with relax, I promise I will work this out with
Daniel.

Are we happy here?  And just in case to be sure we understand each
other:

It was not my intention to use the name RubyQuiz3 against a broad
consensus and I will not.
Gregory Brown wrote:
> If you fork a project, you should
> change its name, unless the original developers on a project support
> you re-using their name.   I think the same thing applies here.
> Creating a project called Ruby Quiz 3 on RubyForge without the
> approval of the existing Ruby Quiz master is about the same as me
> calling myself "Robert Dober II".   I didn't argue that you shouldn't
> create a different type of quiz.  I just suggested that you shouldn't
> have taken the name without the existing maintainer (or at least the
> community) backing you.

Well said, Gregory.

Robert Dober wrote:
> It was not my intention to use the name RubyQuiz3 against a broad
> consensus and I will not.

Thank you for understanding, Robert.

And, with regards the rubyquiz3 rubyforge project, I suppose that is
up to Daniel, in consultation with you, as to whether he wants to use
that in lieu of, or in addition to, a dedicated web site.
On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Matthew Moss <matt@moss.name> wrote:

> Daniel Moore contacted me almost immediately after my initial posting
> showing his interest in continuing the Ruby Quiz. After a bit of discussion,
> I've decided to pass the reins to Daniel. Thank you!

I'm very excited to be heading the future Ruby Quiz. Reading the Ruby
Quiz posts on the mailing list has always been a great experience for
me as I continue to learn more about Ruby. I intend to continue the
high level of quality that Matthew and James have established.

I am interested in hearing about any quiz ideas or general
suggestions. There have been several good ones already and I want to
test some of them out over time. My primary focus will be on posting
good quizzes and summaries on the mailing list every week. Also, a
Rails site with simple tagging and search is in the works.

I look forward to seeing your responses as we continue to play with
interesting programming problems through Ruby.
5d06917e13b29bcff1c1609492c06873?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Thomas (Guest)
On Jan 16, 2009, at 7:03 PM, Daniel Moore wrote:

> I am interested in hearing about any quiz ideas or general
> suggestions. There have been several good ones already and I want to
> test some of them out over time. My primary focus will be on posting
> good quizzes and summaries on the mailing list every week. Also, a
> Rails site with simple tagging and search is in the works.

I wonder if every now and then it would be an idea to post a quiz that
is directed towards learning some new language feature or library?
Many past quizzes have been to do with algorithms (which is fun), but
the advent of Ruby 1.9 and its many new features means that a quiz
could also be a learning opportunity. What can we do with (say)
symetric coroutines, or enumerators, or...

Dave
On Jan 16, 2009, at 9:31 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

> library?
This is a great point.

> Many past quizzes have been to do with algorithms

Yes, I recognized this issue during my run with the quiz.  I did try
to fight it some, but my efforts weren't very successful.  In my
experience, it was just a lot easier to get people interested in the
algorithm problems.

However, many of the quizzes I enjoyed the most weren't algorithm
heavy problems.

James Edward Gray II