Forum: RSpec maybe I 'get it' after all

D15a45a973443d4562051eb675b60474?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Cloyd (Guest)
I hope I'm not the only one in the world who posts to a discussion list
only to (maybe) get the answer to a question moments after hitting
posting. Sigh.

Looking again, in the cucumber wiki page "Running Features", I had a
sense that I maybe I DID know what to do, went to
/examples/dos_line_endings in the cucumber gems installation on my
machine, and entered to the CLI -

~$ cucumber features/dos_line_endings.feature

After I stopped laughing at the feature description text (I too love
Linux), I have to admit that this output simply works for me. Whew.

So...my sense of "what to do" now, is to write *.feature files, with
corresponding step definition files, then...well, there's lots of
what-to-do info very lucidly written in the wiki. I much enjoy reading
it - although I wish the Rails stuff was factored out, because it's of
no use if you're not doing Rails, and I think I'm going to have to try
to translate some of it, and will likely do it badly...

If someone wants to redirect me in any way, I'll give very close
attention to their advice. Meanwhile, I'm feeling like I can go
forward with this and I'll be learning a great deal. This sure looks
like fun...and very very useful, in the long run.

I'm endlessly grateful for the hard work of others in the Ruby world,
from which I benefit so much.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< tc@tomcloyd.com >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
> I hope I'm not the only one in the world who posts to a discussion list
> only to (maybe) get the answer to a question moments after hitting
> posting. Sigh.
Hey, that's my trick! Get your own!

2009/1/11 Tom Cloyd <tomcloyd@comcast.net>
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Tom Cloyd <tomcloyd@comcast.net> wrote:

> After I stopped laughing at the feature description text (I too love
> Linux), I have to admit that this output simply works for me. Whew.
>
> So...my sense of "what to do" now, is to write *.feature files, with
> corresponding step definition files, then...well, there's lots of
> what-to-do info very lucidly written in the wiki. I much enjoy reading
> it - although I wish the Rails stuff was factored out, because it's of
> no use if you're not doing Rails, and I think I'm going to have to try
> to translate some of it, and will likely do it badly...

Good point. Keeping Rails-related content apart from the more general
Cucumber docs has been my goal since I started.

However, several contributors to the Wiki are using Rails and it seems
they
often think that everybody is using Rails. Or maybe they are so
ingrained in
the Rails way of doing things that it's hard to describe non-Rails
environments.

Keep this in mind folks!

Aslak