Forum: Ruby Turn off warnings in ruby

Cb880dd8c8c209924ebb57edbb4fcd06?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Burgess (jim_in_germany)

I am writing a ruby application with FXRuby, which also uses the ruby
gem 'spreadsheet' to create an Excel file. Everything was working fine
until this morning when, for some reason, when I ran my application, it
started spewing out warnings at me (literally hundreds), caused by the
'spreadsheet' gem.
e.g.
"c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/spreadsheet-0.6.1.9/lib/spreadsheet/datatypes.rb:27:
warning: instance variable @text_wrap not initialized"

Can anyone tell me how to turn off warnings in ruby while I try to
figure this out?

Thanks a lot.
I'm currently working with ruby 1.8.6 and using xp
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (djberg96)
Jim Burgess wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to turn off warnings in ruby while I try to
> figure this out?

It's probably harmless, so don't panic. You can report that to Hannes on
the project page as a bug:

http://www.rubyforge.org/projects/spreadsheet

> Thanks a lot.
> I'm currently working with ruby 1.8.6 and using xp

I'm curious what turned warnings on, since they're not on by default.
What happens if you run ruby with -W0?

Regards,

Dan
Cb880dd8c8c209924ebb57edbb4fcd06?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Burgess (jim_in_germany)

Thanks for the advice.
Running the script from the command line thus, "ruby -W0 invoices.rb"
still produces hundreds of warnings.
Is that then the correct way to turn warnings off? If so, it doesn't
seem to work :-)
Do you think I should report this problem?
I already tried installing (and uninstalling) various versions of the
spreadsheet gem. I also tried downgrading to earlier versions of ruby,
but the result was always the same.
What I will do also is set this up in Linux and try and reproduce the
error ther. Maybe it's windows specific?
Would be grateful for any advice
> Is that then the correct way to turn warnings off?

I dont know how others do it but I fix all the warnings ruby spits out
in my scripts, which sometimes is only annoying if I include stuff from
other authors who do not fix those kind of warnings.

I think there should exist a standard that at least mandates that all
the more popular gems etc... stuff that is used in ruby, should produce
no warnings.

This is just a nuisance IMHO and people should freely use -w flags all
the time.
Cb880dd8c8c209924ebb57edbb4fcd06?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Burgess (jim_in_germany)
on 2009-01-09 10:41
I solved the problem :-)
I was using the latest version of FXRuby (1.6.16)
I uninstalled this and dropped back to the previous version.
Now when I run the programs everything works as it should.
I guess I should have thought of this sooner.
Thanks for the help.
63529e6fbb35dde336d471b569b84d87?d=identicon&s=25 Rodrigo Bermejo (rbermejo)
on 2009-01-10 00:30
Jim Burgess wrote:
> I solved the problem :-)
> I was using the latest version of FXRuby (1.6.16)
> I uninstalled this and dropped back to the previous version.
> Now when I run the programs everything works as it should.
> I guess I should have thought of this sooner.
> Thanks for the help.

You could get rid of those warning messages this way:
$VERBOSE = nil

-r.
Cb880dd8c8c209924ebb57edbb4fcd06?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Burgess (jim_in_germany)

> You could get rid of those warning messages this way:
> $VERBOSE = nil

I tried that and couldn't get it to work.
Where exactly in my code should I insert that?
Will this then kill all warnings for my program, including those
generated by a third party library?