Forum: Ruby on Rails Versionning system

10f7e00c1c5c60e2173995eb16f4ffc7?d=identicon&s=25 pepe (Guest)
Hi all.

I want to apologize, I guess this is not the best place to post this
but I'm interested to know what RoR developers think.

What would be a good open source versionning system for somebody that
has never used one?

Thanks a lot.

Pepe
9770ee3431156709c728f6105dd98f0d?d=identicon&s=25 Bosko Ivanisevic (Guest)
After years of using various version controls like CVS and SVN, I
finally ended with Git.
29ebf90af6107d2eb39b587c7972639c?d=identicon&s=25 Mukund (Guest)
Git requires getting used to, but it is good after you learn the
ropes.

On Jan 8, 12:58 pm, Bosko Ivanisevic <bosko.ivanise...@gmail.com>
Mukund wrote:
> Git requires getting used to, but it is good after you learn the
> ropes.
>
> On Jan 8, 12:58�pm, Bosko Ivanisevic <bosko.ivanise...@gmail.com>

I say go with Git! I resisted Git at first, but once I got used to it I
really like it a lot. My primary reason for using it can be summed up in
one word "Github."
pepe wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I want to apologize, I guess this is not the best place to post this
> but I'm interested to know what RoR developers think.
>
> What would be a good open source versionning system for somebody that
> has never used one?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Pepe

We use Mercurial because back in time the support of Git on Windows was
bad. On Mac and GNU/Linux, Mercurial and Git are both excellent choices,
so you won't be wrong. Don't use SVN, it's out of the game for new
commers.

--
Video training with screencasts at http://www.digiprof.fr
10f7e00c1c5c60e2173995eb16f4ffc7?d=identicon&s=25 pepe (Guest)

I have been reading up about different tools and I was leaning towards
Git, among other things because of Github, as Robert mentioned. I
don't know much about the tool yet and I know there are 2 sides to it,
the shell screen and the GUI version. Is the same functionality
available in both areas, which one should I go with?

Thanks a lot again.

Pepe

On Jan 8, 10:42 am, Fernando Perez <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
I haven't used the GUI that much, but I might take a look in the
future.

Personally, I happen to like CLI tools overall for many things. Even
though Textmate is still one of my favorite editors, there is
something nice about opening up VIM and using that for quick edit
jobs.

My opinion: try both! ;)
171ea139761951336b844e708d1547ab?d=identicon&s=25 James Byrne (byrnejb)
on 2009-01-08 22:11
pepe wrote:
> Thank you to all of you.
>
> I have been reading up about different tools and I was leaning towards
> Git, among other things because of Github, as Robert mentioned. I
> don't know much about the tool yet and I know there are 2 sides to it,
> the shell screen and the GUI version. Is the same functionality
> available in both areas, which one should I go with?

Git syntax for everyday tasks is so simple it really does not warrant a
GUI.  Looking at past branches and merges, well there a gui like gitk
has real value.

Create a new repository:
$ git init

Add files to stage:
$ git add <directory or filename>

Commit staged files to repository:
$ git commit -m"commit message"

Copy a repository:
$ git clone [<protocol>://]<path/to/source/repository> </path/to/clone>

Update and merge from a remote repository:
$ git pull <protocol>://</path/to/source/on/remote>

Update local commits to remote:
$ git push

Check local against remote:
$ git fetch

Look at local changes against remote
$ git diff

Unwind a local commit and preserve subsequent work:
$ git reset --merge

Abandon all local changes and reset to remote:
$ git fetch; git status; git pull
#all steps required in that order to place index in known state

Ignore files and directories:
$ vi .gitignore

The rest of it, and there is a great deal of material in the rest of it,
is rarely used.  The supported protocols are git://, ssh:// and
http(s)://.
9770ee3431156709c728f6105dd98f0d?d=identicon&s=25 Bosko Ivanisevic (Guest)
I rarely use GUI tools that come with git. Although gitk is really
excellent if you want to examine history, especially since feature to
use external diff viewer is added. MinGW version of Git works good on
Windows but if you need to use git-svn you'll have to work with Cygwin
because MinGW version still doesn't work well.

Nevertheless what really amazed me in Git are easy branching and
merging, git stash (put away your current, not commited work, make
changes and applying ongoing work back) and git bisect that is really
helpful in chasing bugs that occur at some point in time.
10f7e00c1c5c60e2173995eb16f4ffc7?d=identicon&s=25 pepe (Guest)
Thank you very much to all of you for your help. I really appreciate
it. :)

Pepe

On Jan 9, 2:42 am, Bosko Ivanisevic <bosko.ivanise...@gmail.com>