Forum: Ruby on Rails Moving from O.R.M. to O

85163a250624e3d38a61a6dd52b378cb?d=identicon&s=25 Joran (Guest)

I was reading some more Martin Fowler just now and then it hit me:

Rails spends a lot of time on Object Relational Mapping.

What if we could just skip that step and go straight to Object?

Best Regards

Joran
80e4cb97cae5c8d745f72337d93fd8f2?d=identicon&s=25 MaD (Guest)
that's an old discussion. ooDBMS vs rDBMS. main argument for rDBMS
(and therefore ORM) is, that these systems are widely spread (mySQL,
postreSQL, ...). another point IMHO is, that most people are just used
to rDBMS and want to keep on using them. maybe with rails3 you can
switch between systems more easily.
A91bd6cef23eb3516245a092e196c4da?d=identicon&s=25 Maurício Linhares (mauricio)
The reason is not that they're widely spread, have you tried to run a
query against such tools? Have you ever tried to generatea  report?
Have you ever had to shard or get them to work on a master/slave
setup?

OODMBS are still too naive for real use, at least when you need more
than just "store" data.

-
Maurício Linhares
(en)
MaD wrote:
> that's an old discussion. ooDBMS vs rDBMS. main argument for rDBMS
> (and therefore ORM) is, that these systems are widely spread (mySQL,
> postreSQL, ...). another point IMHO is, that most people are just used
> to rDBMS and want to keep on using them. maybe with rails3 you can
> switch between systems more easily.

Actually ooDBMS and rDBMS are not the only two options. I've been
thinking about this issue a lot myself, and I know I'm not the only one.
There is a third option, which definitely look promising. I am speaking
of Document Oriented Databases such as CouchDB. There is already a lot
of work being done to integrate Rails with CouchDB.

Find out more here:
http://couchdb.apache.org/