Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails Hosting

F0f84a42069fc37eb2552e69bb211458?d=identicon&s=25 pete (Guest)
Hi-

I've done some searching, but since there are many options, I'd like
to get some feedback from the group at large.

I have a couple of Rails apps that will likely not see too much
traffic and I would like to find a public home for them.  Since these
sites are not generating any revenue for me, I'd like to find a less
expensive home.

Anyone have a suggestion, or know of a good resource, for a good, less-
expensive hosting service to get up and running?

Thanks!
00e8233b7817ac14040f7928e6d4b889?d=identicon&s=25 John Yerhot (Guest)
Sounds like a cheap shared host like Dreamhost would work ok for you.
F0f84a42069fc37eb2552e69bb211458?d=identicon&s=25 pete (Guest)
Ok, I'll check it out.  And I guess the main thing I am looking for is
a sandbox where I can test remote deploys with Cap and Git, setup the
database, basically anything I would do with a "production" level
app.

Thanks again for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
C4bfcc81ac9281cb905f38e97e4d4e0b?d=identicon&s=25 Shandy Nantz (snantz)
on 2009-01-06 22:25
I use a small orange and I am very pleased not only with the service but
with the price. Also, if you do a search threw the forum here, you
should run into several other posts that give lists and other opinions.
00e8233b7817ac14040f7928e6d4b889?d=identicon&s=25 John Yerhot (Guest)
> Ok, I'll check it out.  And I guess the main thing I am looking for is
> a sandbox where I can test remote deploys with Cap and Git, setup the
> database, basically anything I would do with a "production" level
> app.

in that case, I'd just get a $20 slice at Slicehost.
247cd3d37084a3d6794076207bd9fbd7?d=identicon&s=25 Bobnation (Guest)
A $20 slice or a cheap VPS from somewhere would do the trick for
you ... at least that is what it sounds like.
F0f84a42069fc37eb2552e69bb211458?d=identicon&s=25 pete (Guest)
Does a "slice" allow me to have multiple apps running?  For example,
say I have 2 prototypes, app1 and app2.

Can I deploy app1 and app2, and if I have the domain "app1.com" and
"app2.com" can I set up the DNS to correctly map to the applications
seperately?

I'll check out slicehost, but thought I would put that question out
there...

Thanks!
5f3abd8b41d671ea5ca29ba04a828763?d=identicon&s=25 Brandon Martin (Guest)
I use webfaction and am very pleased. Great service and great price. I
had
to install git myself but no big deal.

Brandon

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 13:50:45 -0800 (PST), Bobnation
<boblmartens@gmail.com>

--
Brandon Martin
Bde3263dc451decb273ee07e9ae74cb0?d=identicon&s=25 stonefield (Guest)

I have multiple domains on one slice. Be aware of the type of server
you run, and how you configure it, when thinking about memory. My app
was veeery slow initially for configuration reasons.
93e83f35def2998975cd9da50e4e2426?d=identicon&s=25 alexey.Creopolis (Guest)
I tried dreamhost and its pretty good for running dev applications on
shared (passenger mod_rails !)

2a39aed820c125e6db9826fa8180043f?d=identicon&s=25 Denis Haskin (Guest)
Or linode.

(no affiliation, just a happy linode customer)

dwh
Fac81a9d95c81d817a2debb6f717f3ac?d=identicon&s=25 Sazima (Guest)
Pete,

Since you have multiple apps, you should look for a provider that
offers Passenger. I had a similar setup whith 3 apps, each run by 4
mongrels. Result: out of memory! With Passenger you don't waste
resources on apps without traffic at any given moment.

Cheers, Sazima
F0f84a42069fc37eb2552e69bb211458?d=identicon&s=25 pete (Guest)
Seems like the more I dig, the more things there are to consider :)

With Slicehost, or any VPS for that matter, it seems like you get a
machine to configure how you would like to, right?  Almost like a
dedicated host, except, it's not (if that makes sense).  So if I go
with a VPS, then I am free to use, Git, Passenger, or anything I want
to...I just have to install it all myself?

Thanks again for all the feedback.
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 2:48 PM, pete <peterbattaglia@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seems like the more I dig, the more things there are to consider :)
>
> With Slicehost, or any VPS for that matter, it seems like you get a
> machine to configure how you would like to, right?  Almost like a
> dedicated host, except, it's not (if that makes sense).  So if I go
> with a VPS, then I am free to use, Git, Passenger, or anything I want
> to...I just have to install it all myself?
>
> Thanks again for all the feedback.

Pete,

You can also look at services (such as ours) that provides you with a
fully configured and ready-to-go deployment environment.

* http://railsboxcar.com/

We make a bunch of the decisions for you so that you can focus on
coding and deploying updated versions of your applications.

Good luck!
Robby

--
Robby Russell
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
8fa0f5c2bf8ad238baa4e20cb0360ebd?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Harrison (iwasinnamuknow)
alexey.Creopolis wrote:
> I tried dreamhost and its pretty good for running dev applications on
> shared (passenger mod_rails !)

+1 for dreamhost. They're not fast for rails aps, but definitely good
enough for testing deployment and sandbox.

Plus for $10/month for pretty much unlimited resources, it can't hurt.

Matt
F999a7c806afd4b1d53f9fed9a18c704?d=identicon&s=25 jasoo24 (Guest)
For your needs, I would also have to recommend Dreamhost. You can
deploy production-ready apps through Capistrano and it is a great and
inexpensive Rails sandbox.

HOWEVER, Dreamhost is slow to a crawl. It's actually unacceptably slow
for any webapp trying to make money.. I'd venture to guess that not
many users will stick around waiting for a website after it takes
10-20 seconds just to load the damn homepage.

I am desperately seeking a super-FAST Rails host that won't cost me an
arm-and-a-leg. I will check out all the suggestions mentioned here,
but -

Does anyone know of a host that would be able to consistently load my
[simple] website pages within ~5 seconds?

Jason
4375b4aca04b8d72482fd409fb6d0b47?d=identicon&s=25 Roderick van Domburg (roderickvd)
on 2009-01-09 11:30
jasoo24 wrote:
> I am desperately seeking a super-FAST Rails host that won't cost me an
> arm-and-a-leg. I will check out all the suggestions mentioned here,
> but -
>
> Does anyone know of a host that would be able to consistently load my
> [simple] website pages within ~5 seconds?

I'm not sure of current limb pricing ;-) but I can plug RailsCluster at
http://en.railscluster.nl. Starting at € 59 monthly you get a fully
clustered and load-balanced setup. This should give you the performance
that you seek.

There's a free 30-day trial if you'd like to check that out.

--
Roderick van Domburg
http://www.nedforce.com
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
> I am desperately seeking a super-FAST Rails host that won't cost me an
> arm-and-a-leg. I will check out all the suggestions mentioned here,
> but -

It really depends on what you consider, "an arm and a leg." ;-)

--
Robby Russell
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
1d143b807b92224469994c80fa991f8f?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Claeson (Guest)
On 11 Jan 2009, at 19:26, Robby Russell wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:14 AM, jasoo24 <jasoo24@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am desperately seeking a super-FAST Rails host that won't cost me
>> an
>> arm-and-a-leg. I will check out all the suggestions mentioned here,
>> but -
>
> It really depends on what you consider, "an arm and a leg." ;-)

I would personally much rather pay with money.