Forum: Ruby on Rails Web framework for embedded appliance?

4744e3bd4a12a1051e9aa43a3e33bc2a?d=identicon&s=25 Florian Dejako (Guest)
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I figured someone here might know:
I'm looking for a Ruby web framework that is suitable for developing a
web service on an embedded network appliance. RAM is an issue, but
probably not as much as hard drive space. Too many requirements likely
make Rails a less than ideal candidate for this. If anyone has ideas
for what would work, any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Florian
Faf3b56a44269e2c5b92cf97435e29f6?d=identicon&s=25 Petite Abeille (Guest)
On Jan 6, 2009, at 8:11 PM, Florian Dejako wrote:

> Sorry for the off-topic post, but I figured someone here might know:
> I'm looking for a Ruby web framework that is suitable for developing a
> web service on an embedded network appliance. RAM is an issue, but
> probably not as much as hard drive space. Too many requirements likely
> make Rails a less than ideal candidate for this. If anyone has ideas
> for what would work, any input is appreciated.

Take a look at Lua:

http://www.lua.org/about.html

Runs on pretty much everything. And fast:

As far as "web framework" goes, take a look at Nanoki, which provides
a set of HTTP libraries implemented in pure Lua:

http://alt.textdrive.com/nanoki/

Here is an online demo of a wiki implemented in pure Lua:

http://svr225.stepx.com:3388/search?q=ruby

Or at Kepler:

http://www.keplerproject.org/

You might find other Lua libraries at LuaForge:

http://luaforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=92

The Lua user wiki maintain a list of libraries as well:

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LibrariesAndBindings

HTH.

Cheers,

--